It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 05:56 AM   #1

Claudia77 HB User
Water leaking, plz help

Hi,

I am only 28 weeks pregnant and I've realised this morning that I have uncontrolable leaking water leaking from my vagina. Not to the amount of a gush, just a leaking dribble. At least I think it's water, it's clear and I am a little worried.

I don't have a doctor here so I have no-one to ask. Unfortunatley I had some insurance woes and was unable to get any health insurance as no-one would cover me when I came over here from England. 4-5 months ago.

Is this normal.. I was gonig to leave it for about another 3 weeks before going back to england to have my baby, which I'll be able to have without the financial worrys of having it here in the USA. But maybe I should go home sooner ?

Is this leaking of water normal at this stage ?

Old 03-25-2005, 06:07 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

stacydl HB User
Re: Water leaking, plz help

If your water has broken it could come in the form of a gush or the form of a leak that continues. You really should go get checked as soon as possible. I think you should go to the er with or without insurance because it can be serious if your water breaks early. I am not trying to scare you. There is a quick test they can do to determine if your water broke, they check the pH of the fluid that is leaking to see if it's just discharge or amniotic fluid. It could be discharge, but if it's continual leaking and like water, it's very possible it could be amniotic fluid. I had a tiny leakage of fluid around my 16th week and the doc told me it could be urine but if it continued to go in for the test. It didn't continue and only happened once, a very tiny amount. I think if you go to the er they will probably do an ultrasound to check your amniotic fluid level and the pH test too. I really think this situation needs to be addressed immediately and to wait three weeks could be extremely risky to say the least. I don't want to scare you, I am sorry if I am.
Take care and good luck!
Stacy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 06:09 AM   #3
(female)

curious1979 HB User

Claudia,

No, leaking water is not normal this early. I read that if you smell the fluid, you should be able to tell if it is your bag of water or urine. The water will have a sweet smell to it. If you are still unsure, you can always go to the hospital and let them know your situation. Most likely they will get a small swab of the fluid and put it under the microscope to see if it is in fact your water. If you are worried about money, just request that be done. Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how you are. Good Luck!!

Laura

Old 03-25-2005, 07:37 AM   #4
Inactive

Fruit Loop HB User

Go to the ER. If you are leaking water it could put your baby (and you)at danger of infection. It's a simple test to see if it's amniotic fluid or something else (which it very well could be). But you really really need to have it checked. Don't wait.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Claudia -

You must find a doctor now. There is no time to fly back to England. If your amnionic sac is leaking, your baby will be in danger of infection in 24 hours because germs can now get into the sac. A sick baby will cause you to become sick, too, and that is dangerous. If you tried to fly home, you might well have a premature baby on the plane.

Go to the nearest Emergency Department at a hospital and tell the nurse what is happening. Don't delay - really. They will check you and test the pH of the fluid as has been mentioned. If it's urine, no problem, but if it's amnionic fluid you'll probably need to be admitted to the hospital. There is no other choice that is safe for your baby. Go now.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 03-25-2005, 07:47 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

GET TO THE DOC OR ER! It could just be an increase in your discharge--mine was actually trickling down my leg (sorry if TMI). So at my appointment I had her do a check. You need to know for sure; so get in. Like the one of the other posters said, this could lead to infection for you AND the baby if it is in fact leaking water.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Claudia, you can't leave it if you are leaking amniotic fluid. You need to deliver within 24 hours to avoid dangerous infection. There is a possibility that they can keep you in the hospital to let your baby grow a little longer, but it's critical that you go to the ER NOW. Leaking amniotic fluid is serious and cannot be put off.

Old 03-25-2005, 11:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

S&J HB User

Now i'm scared.
I'm 19 weeks and feel that I'm having a lot more discharge than normal. I wouldn't actually know how much is normal since this is my first pregnancy that's lasted this long. Is it normal to have a little bit during the day?
thx.
S.

Old 03-25-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

Like the others said if you suspect your leaking anmiotic fluid you need to be checked asap!!

Hope all is alright!

Old 03-25-2005, 03:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

S&J, an increase in discharge is normal and different than leaking amniotic fluid. My doctor told me that if you soak a pad every 1/2 hour to an hour or so and it's clear, you need to call ASAP because it's probably amniotic fluid. If it is just a trickle here and there or not continuous, it is probably urine which also leaks more during pregnancy. If it is discharge, that's different and normal for it to increase throughout the pregnancy. What Claudia is describing sounds like it could very well be amniotic fluid and she should get it checked ASAP.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:18 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

S&J HB User

jm..thank you for your reply! I immediately did some research about it and some things scared me but some things made me feel better. Your comment made me feel much better!
Thanks!
S

Old 03-25-2005, 05:56 PM   #12

Claudia77 HB User

Hi

This is Claudia's husband.. Firstly thankyou all for your advice. We went to the hospital this morning and unfortunately it was our worst nightmare, my wife has already started contractions. She is 28 weeks. The doctors are doing everything possible to delay the baby, but they said they can't prevent it for that much longer as she already has lost a lot of water.

It's going to be tough I guess. Especially cos we have no insurance. Every single company we called refused us, as they called Claudia's pregnancy pre-isting. So how we'll come out of this financially is anyones guess.

If anyone has any advice or has been through similar ie premature baby and no health care, any advice is much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Old 03-25-2005, 06:11 PM   #13
(female)

shannon628 HB User

I'm terribly sorry about that.. I hope that all goes well. Please keep us informed.

Last edited by shannon628; 03-25-2005 at 06:12 PM.

Old 03-25-2005, 06:38 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thank you for the update on Claudia's condition. I'm sorry to hear that it was her water that broke but glad she went to the hospital to get it checked out. At 28 weeks, there is a good chance of the baby being okay. Most hospitals will work out a payment plan with you where you can pay monthly with no interest accumulating. When you get the bill, make sure you promptly call the number to work out a plan. They are usually very willing to work with patients. SOme hospitals even give discounts to patients with no insurance. The most important thing is obviuosly getting care for Claudia and the baby. You're doing the right things. Please keep us updated when you can.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:45 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

S&J HB User

i'm sorry that has happened. I hope all goes well.

Closed Thread