It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 07:24 AM   #1
(female)

MomInApril HB User
Unhappy 38 weeks pregnant with severe cold ... ack!

I am 38 weeks pregnant and two days ago I came down with a horrible cold. It's mostly stuffiness and coughing. Has anyone gone through labor with a bad cold? I am so excited to have the baby (and so ready to not be pregnant anymore!), but now I'm hoping he holds out a few more days so I can get over this. I can't imagine trying to use any breathing techniques since I can't even breathe. Has anyone dealt with this before? What should I do? I don't want to take anything in case I do go into labor ... my biggest fear is that the doctors would say, "sorry, we can't give you the epidural while you have Sudafed in your system." or something like that. That would just be my luck!

Anyway, I guess this is more a gripe than a question ... I hope all you ladies are doing well with your pregnancies.

Old 04-09-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
(female)

tomatoes49 HB User
Re: 38 weeks pregnant with severe cold ... ack!

me too i called yesterday and they said take robatussin dm
knowing i could go anyay and it they didnt say anything about it effecting labor drugs
i think they would be curtious enough to tell us , so i'm not worried
besides i more annoyed with the cough and the constant peeing of my pants then labor right now
i think about being in labor and coughing the poor baby out instead of pushing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Yes I had a cold when I was induced. It was no fun. I had the epidural and was in labor for 20 hours. I had the chilld, shales, and spiked a temperature. (most of this from the labor and drugs). To make matters worse I had a c-section and by then the cold made its way down to my lungs and I was coughing. Do you know how bad it hurts to cough or laugh after a c-section? I had to hug a pillow and brace myself when I had to cough. NO FUN!

Old 04-09-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

i can't imagine a cold with a c section. wow! how long did it take before the major amount of pain stopped with the c section? i am having one in three weeks

Old 04-09-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
(female)

MomInApril HB User

Oh my goodness, I can't imagine coughing after a C-section. I've never had one, but it's bad enough coughing while pregnant ... let alone after having major surgery. Oh, yikes. I hope you are doing ok now, besafe!

I called my doctor's office the day I posted my original message and asked specifically about any interactions Sudafed would have with an epidural, and the nurse assured me it was not a problem. She said they only don't give an epidural if your blood platelates (sp?) are low. I still try to not take it, but I think I've taken one dose everyday for the last 3 days.

I am due the 20th and I am hoping my little boy will cooperate and wait till I'm a little better. This is my first so I'd like to not have any unnecessary stuff to deal with like not being able to breathe ... Plus, I was thinking if I do have him while I'm sick, I don't want to get HIM sick right at the start. I would feel awful. But we'll see how it goes ... he's still hanging out - although all the peeing while I'm hacking made me think my water broke today. Aigh!!

I hope everyone feels better ... good luck with your deliveries!

Old 04-09-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Actually I had my c-section last year. I like to come and visit the pregnancy board though . It was really bad. It was funny how the cough started that day I got the c-section. Im not going to sugar coat it.. It hurt really bad. Not just the cough but the incision felt like bee stings when I would move. If you are taking your pain medication then the bee sting sensation goes away but of course it still hurts when you walk. but nothing can take away the pain accompanied with coughing. laughing hurt too. But coughing was so much worse. I would feel like my incision was going to split open when I coughed. The pain went away after 2 weeks. After that I could turn in bed easier and I felt healed. I was lucky that I didnt have any complications or infection because I can only imagine how bad that would be.

Old 04-09-2005, 08:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Ps: to make matters worse my mom got sick after me and then the baby. Poor thing was barely 2 weeks old with a bad cold. I had rough time so its going to be a while before i have a second baby lol.

Closed Thread