It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrittyGreenEyez HB User
OMG! Did he strip my membranes??

Okay, there's been quite a few questions on here about stripping of membranes and today I had my weekly pre-natal appt. I will be 39 weeks this Wednesday. Well it started out like any usual check up...I expected for him to check my cervix like always and he said that i was now 2 cm dialated and my cervix was half way thinned out. Now when he usually checks my cervix naturally it is somewhat uncomfortable, but this time it lasted a bit longer and it seemed like he pushed his fingers alot "higher up" and and at this point it was very uncomfortable to where I didn't make a sound, but had to hold my breath and srunch my face. Out of all the times he's checked me, that's the first i've ever felt like that. Plus he also told me that during this next week it's not unusual for me to be having some spotting because it's just my "bloody show." So I thought nothing of it. However, when I hopped off the bed to clean myself of that icky cold gel, when I wiped there was blood on the tissue paper I just went to the bathroom like 5 minutes ago and there's no blood in the toilet, but there is pink blood on the tissue paper. So for you ladies that have had this done, do you think he stripped my membranes? And if so...WHY wasn't I told? (haha*)

Old 04-18-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Re: OMG! Did he strip my membranes??

It's possible that the exam was just more uncomfortable because he was sticking his fingers higher up into the cervix since you're dilated. They do this to check dilation and they can poke around a bit to try to feel the position of the baby's head. I remember my cervical exams were MUCH more uncomfortable after I dilated. I also had spotting with my first child without my stripping membranes.

Stripping membranes you can usually feel them working around and around in a circle, and you will probably cramp afterwards. I would think they wouldn't do it without asking or telling you. That doesn't seem very professional at all to me!
DD born 3/24/2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrittyGreenEyez HB User

Ooh okay...well thank you. I do remember him saying something about the position of the baby's head...okay. I just had to make sure, but thanks so much for replying.

Old 04-18-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I had a similar uncomfortable appointment this past week (38 weeks). I am not dialated, although she said something about the outside being dialate but the inside being closed - not sure what that means. It was a longer and more uncomfortable exam than in the past and when I got home, I bled brownish pink, kind of a lot on the toilet paper, but not like a period. I called my doctor to make sure it was normal. Anyway, just prior to the exam, we were discussing scheduling an induction due to the size of the baby and I inquired about stripping the membranes. She said I would have to be dialated a little bit in order to strip them, but it was a possibility. DUring my exam, she said she couldn't do it because I wasn't dialated. I think they would have told you if that's what they were going to do. It seems to be normal for the exams to take longer and be more painful this late in the pregnancy. Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
(female)

MomInApril HB User

I had my weekly appointment today, too -- I am 39w5d (and SO ready to give birth), and the internal exam was a little more uncomfortable. When the doctor was checking me he told me to push down like I was having a bowel movement, and I was like, "ok?" but he was checking to see the position of the baby's head. I kept asking my husband after we left, "did he say he FELT the baby's head??"

So maybe that's what your doctor was doing, too. My doctor said I am nearly 100% effaced but still only 1 cm. dilated (barely). Come on, baby!!! I'm waiting!!

Reply Reply