It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

shan1129 HB User
Unhappy How Harmful?

How harmful is fighting with your partner and stress on the fetus? I have heard that if you yell, cry and get stressed out alot that the baby can be born with defects and behavioral problems. How true is this? Me and my fiancee havent been getting along very well and im very concerned for our baby. Please help!!!

Old 04-27-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

nadyjo HB User
Re: How Harmful?

Stress will have an affect on your baby. And yes it most certainly cause behavior problems in your child. I was told this by my doc and soooooo many others and now I am living it. As to birth defects NO.

Mom of 6

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
(female)

shan1129 HB User

Oh NO! I am onyl 15 weeks right now, if i take it easy and can be stress free through the rest of my pregnancy is there a chance that the stress from these past few weeks will not affect that baby??? Im really concerned!!!

Old 04-27-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

I think it effects the nature of the child. I had a calm, happy stress free pregnancy and everyone has always commented on how calm I am with the baby and how calm and good natured he is and they always ask, "Is he ALWAYS this happy?" And I tell them yes we were very blessed. My Mom says it has alot to do with how you were in your pregnancy and how you are after, if you are a nervious wreck your baby will pick up on it.

Good luck to you, try to calm down and resolve the issues with your boyfriend. Enjoy your pregnancy and goodluck!
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Old 04-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

InDueTime05 HB User

From what I've seen first hand yes it can cause behavorial problems. With my DS I was stress free and just a happy little pregnant woman and my DS is such a happy child. He was a VERY happy newborn and everyone just told me how lucky I was. My sister on the other hand was going through a seperation during her first pregnancy and had A LOT of stress and did a lot of yelling and crying and my niece isn't very well behaved. She was also in the hospital a lot after birth and now has epilipsy(SP) But my niece yells all the time and is just out of control. It's ridiculous. I'm afraid this time too because I've had a LOT of stress this time and I am more edgy then I was with my first so I get mad a lot easier. I watch my two year old niece and just find myself over reacting to things a 2 year old does. I yell more then I should and I have never been a yeller so I am trying to chill out and enjoy the rest of my pregnancy stress free and yell free!
Brandon James 5/11/99 @ 4:48pm
Jade Elizabeth 6/7/05 @ 7:41pm

Old 04-27-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
(female)

shan1129 HB User

Wow, it seems like behavioral issues are what i should be concerned with the most!! I am going to do everything i have to and make sure i am stess free from here on out and hopefully my baby will still have a chance to be a happy healthy baby! Thank you for your replies... I hope its not to late!! Currently 15 weeks!!

Last edited by shan1129; 04-27-2005 at 11:18 AM.

Old 04-27-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

InDueTime05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan1129
Wow, it seems like behavioral issues are what i should be concerned with the most!! I am going to do everything i have to and make sure i am stess free from here on out and hopefully my baby will still have a chance to be a happy healthy baby! Thank you for your replies... I hope its not to late!! Currently 15 weeks!!
Do you live with your boyfriend/fiance? I would sit with him and tell him your concerns about the stress in your life with him and how you're concerned with the stress to the baby. I know it's hard but if things don't stop then I would stop talking to him until he can help you NOT be stress and him not add to your stress. I finally had to cut off the "father" of my baby. He was causing me WAY to much stress. Since then I have been stress free. I sleep better (besides going pee and the leg cramps) but I don't sit up all night thinking of how crazy he is. He didn't get it at first and still tried to talk but then he realized that my unborn baby is more important then talking to him. We have a weird relationship though. I didn't get pregnant willingly if you catch what I am saying and I after months of not talking I decided I'd talk to him so that he could be apart of all this but then he started up his old crap again and I had to cut him off completely. I'm not even allowing him in the labor room. Stress is worse then drugs for your unborn baby. My coach with my DS told me that and that is why I just didn't allow myself to get stressed and I started thinking this time and I know how wonderful my son turned out and how happy he was/is. My DD deserves that too. Good luck! If your boyfriend can't understand then I'd say goodbye for now.
Brandon James 5/11/99 @ 4:48pm
Jade Elizabeth 6/7/05 @ 7:41pm

Old 04-27-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
(female)

shan1129 HB User

Yeah, i pretty much had to cut him off for now, i am not currently living with him and i have been doing much better. I just hope that being 15 weeks into the pregnancy and all the stress that was going on in the past weeks is not going to dramatically affect my baby. I also, hope that he and i can work things out in the near future. Thanks for your reply... its nice to know im not alone!

Old 04-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

Shan - I brought this question to my NP before and she said that it doesn't harm the baby. I have been under extreme stress that has only gotten worse though and I and plan on asking about it again now that I am 37 weeks. I am hoping they will induce me if can in fact hurt the baby.

I got pregnant at 19 with no job, house or even a degree. Had to move back in with my parents while my boyfriend lives across state in the police acadamy. I was using protection, so this was completely unexpected. Most pregnant women experience stress at some point in their pg though. Goodluck

Last edited by Frynd1; 04-27-2005 at 02:02 PM.

Old 04-27-2005, 02:05 PM   #10
(female)

shan1129 HB User

LynnDewald1-
It is really good to hear that these stresses in our lives will not harm the baby, i would hate for my baby to have problems due to the problems in my life. Thanks for your replies and GOOD LUCK TO YOU AS WELL!!

Old 04-27-2005, 02:30 PM   #11
(female)

mjbbtt HB User

stress can affect the fetus somewhat not majorly but it isn't good for it, when i was pregnant with my first child my boyfriend left me when i was 7 months pregant i cryed everyday and couldn't even eat though i made myself BUT she turned out to be a great baby and a great kid, very calm so good luck!

Old 04-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

HopingChris HB User

My husband & I argued a lot with my 2nd pregnancy & now my 7 yr old that I was pregnant with is the 1st to get mad about something & cries a lot over every little thing & she can be real emotional (ex. she saw a baby today with a broke leg & she acted as if she could feel for him). She is the only one out of my 3 girls that is like that. But I really believe it is because I was always so stressed out during my pregnancy with her. She is my angel!

Chris

Closed Thread