It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2005, 02:09 PM   #1
(female)

needhealing777 HB Userneedhealing777 HB User
How long does an epidural last?

I've read about people's epidurals wearing off and then they have to finish labor in pain..I thought they lasted the whole time and if they start to wear off, you just up the meds...

Old 05-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User
Re: How long does an epidural last?

Thats how it was for me both times. I had a button to push if I needed it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

InDueTime05 HB User

Mine lasted the whole time I had it but I too had a button I could push if I needed more. I never had to push it though. Mine didn't wear off until 2 hours after my DS was born. Hopefully, I have a button this time too.
Brandon James 5/11/99 @ 4:48pm
Jade Elizabeth 6/7/05 @ 7:41pm

Old 05-03-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrittyGreenEyez HB User

Mine never weared off either thank God. Mine seemed to last all throughout the labor process and seemed to still stick until early that morning. I couldn't go to the bathroom I guess because of the swelling so they had to put a cathiter in me both times and I didn't at all really feel it. The funny thing though is that I had the hardest time getting up to walk to go to the bathroom after labor and a couple hours later in my post pardum room. Even though I could feel SOME things, I couldn't really. My legs felt like they hadn't been walked on in months, I looked like a toddler taking steps for the first time! Mine seemed to last for a long while. Lol*

Old 05-04-2005, 07:03 AM   #5
(female)

navysab HB User

I was the same way. My epidural lasted the whole time, but I did have a button to push if I needed more.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:50 AM   #6
(female)

sweetpea333 HB User

i had a continuous drip,so it couln't wear off, but my midwife stopped it because she thought that it was preventing me from pushing successfully.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:48 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

I think a better way to be clear about this, is how long were your labors. Someone might say it lasted all the way through, but their labor may have been only 7 hours. Also, at what stage did you request one? At what dialation?

Old 05-04-2005, 11:02 AM   #8
(female)

That's true, how many hours does an epidural last? What if someone has a 14 hour labor, will it last that long? And can you request one IMMEDIATELY?

Old 05-04-2005, 11:30 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

drewsmom24 HB User

Mine was topped off 5 times and then they couldnt give me anymore. I ended up having a natural birth. It was not even close to as bad as I touught it would be.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:57 PM   #10
(female)

Why couldn't they give you anymore and how long was it until that happened?
My daughter is being induced tomorrow and we are scared...this is her first and on the instructions, the doc wrote epidural in pm...I do not understand that..that is alot of hours to suffer from 7am-pm?
Do you know what our rights are..do we have to listen to doc or can she request epidural right away.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

InDueTime05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChicopea
I think a better way to be clear about this, is how long were your labors. Someone might say it lasted all the way through, but their labor may have been only 7 hours. Also, at what stage did you request one? At what dialation?
My labor went from May 8th at 4am to May 11th at 4:48pm. I didn't get the epidural until about 1:30 on the 11th but I had been giving something else in my IV before the epidural to help me rest since I had been in labor for so long. So mine lasted from 1:30 to around 6ish. I was so happy to feel my legs again lol.
Brandon James 5/11/99 @ 4:48pm
Jade Elizabeth 6/7/05 @ 7:41pm

Old 05-04-2005, 03:31 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

Um well...mine wore off on my left side about an hour after i had it. It was because of the way they had me laying.

But I just called the nurse and the dr. came back and topped me off. it wore off about an hour and a half after delivery.....two hours after it was turned off.....my labor was only 5 1/2 hours though. (Got the epi 1 1/2 hours into it)...

Old 05-04-2005, 10:41 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

Despite having a constant drip of the epidural, it didn't work for me. With my first child, I received it about 6 hours into my labor. It did work at that time. It was being fed into me by IV and I even had an additional injection prior to going in for a section. About a minute into my section, my epidural stopped working completely. I was still receiving it through my IV, so I don't know what happened. I ended up being put to sleep because the pain of feeling a section being performed was not by any means pleasant.

With my 2nd child, I again attempted to have an epidural. I received it 18 hours into my labor (I was only dilated to 3cm at that point......I wasn't dilating quickly and after 18 hours and still only being at 3cm, I decided to give it another try). My epidural was given the same way (constant drip) and I had relief for about 15 minutes that time. They gave me as much as they could before determining that I was immune to it, so it was removed and I had to go the rest of my labor and delivery (26 hours total) with no drugs to help me along. It was horrific, but I survived.........and I would do it all over again.

Now thinking back to it all.......I'm kind of glad things worked out the way that they did because I liked being able to feel what I was doing. I couldn't imagine not being able to feel how hard I was pushing. I felt more in control of my delivery.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:44 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

drewsmom24 HB User

I was induced on a thursday morning and the second they put on the cervical cream I hit hard labor. I finally had him on saturday night. I had the epidural in for 51 hours.

Closed Thread