It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2005, 07:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User
How can I shorten my cervix

I was hoping to be induced on May 12 (I will be 39 weeks then) because my boyfriend is in the police acadamy across state and needs to know what days to take off. If we don't pick a date then there is a good chance he won't make it in time. He is in the acadamy 7 days a week and lives 3 hours away. My doctor said she won't induce me unless my body is ready. They plan on making that decision next Wednesday. She said that based off of what she saw today, I wasn't ready yet. I'm dialated to two centimeters though. The only problem is that my cervix isn't effaced. Has anyone been induced withouth their cervix being ready yet? My doctor said I need to get active if I want to help it along. I don't have my boyfriend here to help the process along though if you know what I mean. Is it possible for my cervix to change dramatically in only 5 days? What can I do to help it?

Old 05-06-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User
Re: How can I shorten my cervix

Walk...walk...walk....

Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

...even better - JOG! Go take a run around the block!

Old 05-06-2005, 11:29 PM   #4
(female)

ms_vee HB User

yes i agree with them. the best thing to do is walk and run if you can. i was so ready to have my son that i danced him out!lol good luck. tell us what you did and what worked.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:46 AM   #5
(female)

mom'o'5 HB User

My 1st 4 kids were induced. all before my due date and all without any progress from my body. I was never dilated, babies were always up high. They only induced though because I have large babies. But to answer your question, yes they can induce before your "ready" if they want to. Now im pg with #5 and for the 1st time my body is doing its job. hoping for labor w/out pitocin for a change!

Old 05-07-2005, 06:43 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

I don't want to burst your bubble Lynn, but my inductions didn't take--and that was twice. I had Cervidil the first time to thin out my cervix and "prime it." Nothing really happened, so they sent us home. A few days later, we went back in for Cervidil, and then Pit the following day. I only dilated one CM. Now that I am at 40 weeks, they plan on inducing for the third time this coming Tuesday with pitocin, and then breaking my water.
With inductions, they prefer that your cervix is "ready" to make labor happen more efficiently, and safer on you AND the baby. Is your baby dropped far enough where they could break your water?

Old 05-07-2005, 09:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

You know, I never asked. I always forget to ask these things. She said she could feel the baby's head when she was checking dialation though. Her main concern is that I have such a long cervix. Everyone always told me that checking for dialation didn't hurt, but man, it sure does if your cervix is as long as mine. She practically had to shove her whole arm up there They were even having to tell me to breath while they were doing it because I was in so much pain. Do most drs send you home if you arent progressing at the hospital? I really can't afford to have this baby at any other time. I wish it were differently but my boyfriend just has to make it.

Old 05-07-2005, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

YOUCH! An arm up there?! LOL
Well, in my case they sent me home. That's why I wanted to forewarn you. I don't want you to schedule this thing and then have your man there only to be sent home and him miss out on his schooling. At least that's how I felt about my DH missing out on work. I felt so guilty--all the money that we missed out on those days just to be sent home. I would ask about getting your water broke...then like I said on the May moms post, they can't send you home!! LOL

Old 05-07-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

I've started drinking rasberry leaf tea. I know it's only suppose to help tone the uterus, but I've heard so many good things about it I just had to try something.

Last edited by Frynd1; 05-07-2005 at 02:38 PM.

Old 05-08-2005, 04:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Lynn, I had prostaglandin gel instead of the cervadil. I don't know what the difference is or if there is a difference, but that was to ripen my cervix. I wasn't even dialated and my cervix was still long at my appointment 2 days prior. It is possible to induce before your cervix is ready. I was supposed to be induced the following morning, but the gel started my contractions (I was told that was a slight possibility if it wasn't a first baby, and this was my 2nd). I understand why your doctor would want to wait, but can you work something out with your doctor, given your situation? Good luck!

Old 05-08-2005, 10:21 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

I am seeing 5 different ob-gyns (all work at the same office) and the one I saw last Friday wasn't too willing to work with my situation. She said she would be willing to induce - but only if my body was ready. So, it was a yes-no answer. I'm seeing a different doctor on Wednesday and hopefully he'll be a bit more flexable. Ultimately I just think they care more about the baby's health then whether or not my boyfriend can make it. Ya know? But I'm hoping if I go in there with a song and dance, he'll agree to do it. Cause like I said, I'm really not just making up excuses, this is the only weekend for my bf to come down.

Last edited by Frynd1; 05-08-2005 at 10:22 AM.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

My friend was told to start drinking the Red Rasberry Leaf tea before her induction, not sure if it does anything for the cervix but it is supposed to help get things ready. How many weeks are you? Hopefully they will agree to induce you, otherwise walk, run and have lots of sex. (the semen is supposed to help things along)
Goodluck, can't wait to hear about your birth story.

Closed Thread