It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
(female)

All Star Mom HB User
Pregnancy and Norco, what the Dr. told me...

Well, today I went to my first appointment and I finally have some peace of mind. told the Dr. what I am taking, and how much, and this is what she told me. She said that many pregnant women take these types of medications throughout their pregnancy, because they have to. She also said that these meds do not pass through the placenta and go through the baby. So therefore there are not physical abnormalities. She did also say there have been tests done on pregnant mothers who have taken these types of meds, and they show that some of the kids are ADD or ADHD, but they are not even sure of the medicine is the real reason why. She did say that if I continue to take this untill delivery, the baby will suffer from withdrawals, and since I know all to well what that is like, I would not dream of putting my little peanut through that. I have decided to wean myself down and eventually be off of them completely, not matter how much I hurt and need the meds. I have to do this for my baby. Now I can sleep better tonight, after all this worrying, and I hope this helps you guys out there feel better too!! By the way I am due on Christmas Eve!!!!

Old 05-08-2005, 12:47 AM   #2
(female)

Emmabean HB User
Re: Pregnancy and Norco, what the Dr. told me...

All Star Mom,
I'm really surprised that the doctor told you that the medication does not pass through the placenta. I do know that the one I'm on does. How would the baby suffer from addiction and withdrawl if it were not getting passed through the placenta? Would it simply go through the digestive system through the umbilical cord?
I hope you are able to wean off. I had my doctor's appointment with my rheumatologist on Friday too. He is allowing me to stay on the Tramadol only 25 mg, which is half of the lowest dose they prescribe. It only comes in 50 mg tablets and I have to cut it in half. I asked him if a narcotic (like Norco or Vicodin) would be better for me since some narcotics have been studied more, but he said no. My pain is caused by a rheumatic condition, and he said fibromyalgia patients do not respond well to narcotics. The good news is that he said that now that I'm entering my second trimester, my pain should lesson due to the hormones. There is a hormone called Relaxin produced in the second trimester that is supposed to stretch the uterus but it also naturally helps with pain. I have actually had more energy the last few days. So I hope that encourages you since you're about a month behind me.
I'm hoping that I can live without the med soon!
He also emphasized that I need to be doing more water therapy. Would that sort of thing help you? Would your 4 year old enjoy going with you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2005, 06:13 AM   #3
(female)

All Star Mom HB User
Re: Pregnancy and Norco, what the Dr. told me...

Hey emmabean. Thanks for your reply. I will find out more from about my meds from my pain management Dr. But I don't know if she will really know about the OBGYN part. I'll let you know what she says. My problem is with my sweat glands, they don't work, and because of that, I get these huge painful cysts, that grow in the worst places. I'm not sure if water therapy would work long term, but I bet it would feel good for the moment. I just got a pool installed yesterday for mothers day, so I will try it out when the pool is ready. I too am looking forward to the second trimester, just so my boobs will stop hurting so much, and I am hoping to not be as tired too. Good luck to you. By the way, my son is going to be 10 in June. (not 4) I guess you confused me with someone else. Hope you have a good day. Its nice talking with you.

Closed Thread