It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
(female)

stacedmlm2005 HB User
Bad experience with castor oil.

I thought I would share my horrific experience with castor oil. I am 38wks and 4days pregnant with my third child. I have been out of work since 25 weeks and I am going stir crazy with each passing day. On Saturday night we had a get together with some friends and family and I caved into the peer pressure of inducing my own labor. My friends went on a hunt for castor oil and I had an audience of people cheering me on to chug half the bottle about 2ozs. This was about 10pm by 1am I felt the first grumbles in my stomach. I spent the next 3 hours having diarhea and intermittent contractions. After three hours of very loose stool which ended with a bleeding rectum the contractions intensified. I woke my DH and DS 12yrs old and told them we needed to make a trip to the DR. We got there and I was hooked up to the monitor and I was having hard contractions every 2-3 mins apart. They monitored me for an hour and checked my cervix. My cervix was 1-2cm dialated and 50% effaced so they send me to walk for the next 2hours. My son was very tired so instead of walking we took the 40min trip back to my sisters.. the contractions at this point intensified.. it was the worst car ride of my life. I was in tears!!! We dropped DS off and my sister made the trip back to the hospital. My contractions at this point were tapering off and I slept in between contractions in the car. We arrived back at the hospital and they checked my cervix again and I was still the same and they sent me home. I suffered for about 12hours for nothing. I would not recommend this to anyone. If your body isn't ready to deliver my advice is to be pt. and don't put yourself through what I did. Please learn from my mistake. (sorry this was so long winded)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
(female)

sberton HB User
Re: Bad experience with castor oil.

Castor oil worked for me with my second, but my water had already broken hours before. Midwife suggested it, and I tried it, but it was not a fun experience, in fact I was running to the bathroom so much, I didn't even realize that I was in labor. I would have to say however that it beat the heck out of being induced, which would have been the next thing to happen.
I am going to be posting soon myself about a possible pregnancy and you mentioned that you have a 12 year old son, could I ask how old you are and if you also have other children. my son is twelve and my daughter is 7 and I may be pregnant again.

Thanks and sorry you had such a bad experience.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
(female)

stacedmlm2005 HB User

I am 34 years old and I have my DS who is 12 and my DD who will be 10 in August. I was recently remarried and I couldn't be happier about this pregnancy. I think I am more anxious about this pregnancy and delivery I just want to know there will be a healthy out come because I am approaching what they call advance maternal age. Let me know if you are pregnant I would love to hear your story.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Boo Boo HB User

Hope you feel better, l guess its better as to my understanding to have the oil when your water breaks?

Old 05-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

I don't think you want to have the runs after your water breaks.

Old 05-09-2005, 12:12 PM   #6
(female)

sberton HB User

stacedmlm,

I am 37, just posted my crazy story and am very anxious about that advanced maternal age.

LOL My daughter will be 8 August 18th

Old 05-09-2005, 12:25 PM   #7
(female)

stacedmlm2005 HB User

sberton,

when will you find out if your PG? My daughter's bday is the 20th..LOL

Old 05-09-2005, 12:31 PM   #8
(female)

sberton HB User

I got the blood drawn today and I will find out tomorrow.

Closed Thread