It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2005, 08:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User
Question Do Animals Know??

I was wondering if anyone knew if animals could sense if you were pregnant. Maybe it's just me but i think my mothers dog (who is a female) is acting much calmer and protective around me. As for my cat at my house he is a male and i am not sure if he can sense what is going on. Does anyone have any pet stories they can share.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User
Re: Do Animals Know??

That's a good question. I'm curious to know myself. I have two golden retrievers who tend to jump up on people when they come in the door and they still jump on me even though I'm 9 months pregnant. I have two cats too and haven't seen any change. My sister brings her 5 month old daughter around every week and the dogs don't seem to go near the baby. Weird.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I think they sort of know, i was reading somewhere it has something to do with your smell. That might not be true, it was on some odd web page. My dog has acted a little diff towards me, more docile. He is a good dog, but he plays ROUGH! and he is big! So when he get you, he gets you! So, I think they sense something diff about you.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:16 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

I am convinced that they know! I am a dog trainer and own two female american staffordshire terriers, they are usually fairly protective of the HOUSE only, Now they won't leave my side! They are sooo sweet about everything, one of them usually jumps up and puts her paws on my shoulders when I get home, but now she just sits calmly and waits for me to get down to her. Their behavior is totally different.
I didn't think they could get any sweeter!

Old 05-10-2005, 04:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I have 2 cats. I've read a lot about animals getting weird also. I'm in week 22, and neither of them seem to notice anything. I read somewhere that when your milk comes in, animals can sometimes smell it and be attracted to it. We'll see.
Gayle

Old 05-10-2005, 08:45 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

I have the laziest most docile dog ever so even if there were a change, I wouldn't notice. My cat is always aloof and there is no change there. I would be interested to see how my DH's parent's dog would react. She is always very hyper and protective, but I wonder if that would change at all if I were to come around.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:20 AM   #7
(female)

Natasha2316 HB User

My dog is usually attached at the hip to my DH but ever since we found out I am pregnant she sleeps right by me, stays by my side and is a lot more excited about me coming home. I came home one day last week and she wouldn't leave my side and we had a bunch of friends over. Normally she wants to run by everyone and lick everyone. I think they know something is different but not sure what.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:43 AM   #8
(female)

lilmik HB User

I think they know...my cat used to always favor my husband but since i've been pregnant she always comes to me and lays on my stomach and purrs. She actually started to cuddle up to me before I took the HPT and that pretty much told me i was prego. My dogs each are 80lbs. used to climb on me jump on me and shove me out of their way now they're much more gentle with me but still crazy

Old 05-10-2005, 10:47 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User

I have 2 cats and 2 dogs. One of the two dogs will come by and stick her nose right on my belly and smell it and then continue to do it for a while. So I think she senses it - but it's hard to say. The other dog, well he is a Golden Ret and he still tries to jump up etc.....not sure. But good question.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #10

Maggpie HB User

I'm sure they know. They can smell it. My sister has a little JRT and she wouldn't leave her side when she was pregnant and I have a Lab/Rotty and a cat and they are both a little different. Not so much the cat, but the dog is definately more careful around me and she is always smelling and nosing me. She's usually a quite bouncy and excitable, but seems calmer now, unless she's playing with 'Dad'.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #11

Maggpie HB User

Sorry, I was going to add a question for you all.
Has anyone experienced aggressive or jealous behaviour towards the baby from their pets. My puppy is very aggressive with other dogs and can be possessive with the house and even jealous when DH and I are sitting too close together. I'm worried about what will happen when Baby arrives.
Maggs

Old 05-10-2005, 11:38 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggpie
Sorry, I was going to add a question for you all.
Has anyone experienced aggressive or jealous behaviour towards the baby from their pets. My puppy is very aggressive with other dogs and can be possessive with the house and even jealous when DH and I are sitting too close together. I'm worried about what will happen when Baby arrives.
Maggs
Hi Maggs,
THis is one of the most common calls I get as a dog trainer! First of all it's very common, second of all you can fix it.
I need to know some things first before I give out info:
1. how old is your dog?
2. what breed is is and where did you get it.
3. How is your dog aggressive with other dogs? What does he do.
4. What kind of training has your dog had.

Usually the problem lies with the way the family treats the dog, they end up getting put into positions of power and authority when at the end of the day they are just dogs and should be treated as such, they get confused and think they have a right to be possessive of things. When in fact the things they are possessive of are YOURS (unless your dog got in the car and went to work all day to pay for the house, car, food toys etc.)
Let me know and I can probably help!

Old 05-10-2005, 11:47 AM   #13
(female)

emilyallison HB User

Pitbull Lover,
I am sooo glad you know about this and Maggs asked this question! I have been having the same fears. I have a 6 year old siberean husky mix who has always been great with kids and is for the most part, pretty well behaved. She is extremely attached to me, as I am to her! She is friendly but sort of aloof to other dogs, Ive been told shes an alpha, other dogs always let her be the boss, but shes never attacked another dog. I also have a almost 3 year old pitbull/boxer/lab mix. She hasnt been around children too much, also very attached to me. She is overly friendly with other dogs. A true lover, loves everybody. SH
he is also well behaved, listens to me very well and always obeys my older dog. Both are very good dogs, but they were both abused before I got them as puppies (i got them from rescues). Im not worried, but my parents and friends are worried that they are going to be jealous because we are so close and I must admit they are pretty spoiled by me and my DH! Do you have any suggestions to make the dogs accept the baby easier? ANy help at all would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Thanks sooo much!!

Old 05-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

Just wanted to add that the book 'what to expect in the first year' goes over how to handle jealous animals. Well it's a good book all around for first (and second time) moms so I'd recommend it anyway.

Old 05-10-2005, 12:17 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

Emilyallison,
Wow you have your hands full! A husky and a pitt mix! Well, you have stated something that most dog owners wonít admit to, you spoil you pooches! Good for you, you have taken the first step in solving the problem.
Donít listen to friends/family that tell you the pitt is going to be a problem with the baby, itís a very common misconception! Pitt Bulls are THE MOST loving creatures on the planet, they desperately need their people and will do ANYTHING to please you! Yes, they are a bit stubborn and can be a bit too lovey at times, but they are GREAT with kids!
First of all, you need to start knocking them down the totem pole now. To do this I recommend the following, now I donít know all the details so if some of this doesnít apply please disregard.
In order to prepare your dogs for baby do the following:
1) take charge of them, you are the boss. You eat first, you walk through doors first, you decide what toys they have and when (donít leave toys laying around anymore, trust me you will thank me when Jr. leaves his toys laying around and it gets eaten!), you decide when itís affection time! Basically, take charge of everything they do!
2) No dogs on couches, beds, chairs anything that puts them at the same level as you. As odd as this sounds, being on the couch or in bed with you makes you a pack member, not a pack leader.
3) Get them used to the new routine NOW. Donít make drastic changes when baby comes home, they will resent the quick change in pack order!
4) Get them used to baby things, if they are not going to be allowed in babys room, put a gate up NOW.
5) This is especially for the Husky, put a baby swing in your living room and put a doll in it. Let it run until the dog does not pay any attention to it. I have heard more horror stories about dogs attacking the baby while in a swing chair, this has nothing to do with a dog being aggressive and wanting to kill the baby, and everything to do with the motion of the chair sparking the prey drive all dogs have!
6) when baby comes home, DO NOT FORCE INTRODUCTIONS! If the dog is a little fearful of nervous, let them discover the child on their terms, but REWARD the dog for being nice with the baby.
There are a million other things you can do, but Iím sure the Mods will get mad at me for posting such a long message. I wish you could contact me off board, but you canít. If you have other questions, post them and I will answer or seek the advice of a trainer in your area.
The Association of Pet Dog Trainers is a great place to start your search!

GOOD LUCK!

Closed Thread