It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005, 02:26 AM   #1

hello to all HB User
not enough fluid

It's a while since I posted here but I need some advise.
I am 34 weeks pregnant with my second baby and have recently been for a scan because my midwife was concerned that my baby had stopped growing. Thankfully the scan revealed that my baby is the right size, the problem was the amount of amniotic fluid. the tech said it was on the borderline of being not enough, i have to go for another scan in a few days to re assess the situation, if there is less water what will happen? has anyone else had this problem?

Old 05-10-2005, 09:37 AM   #2
(female)

kcherrywa HB User
Re: not enough fluid

Low amniotic fluid is not a good thing for your baby. It lessens the cushioning effect of the sac of waters, and if the fluid gets very low, there is a risk that the cord could be compressed especially upon labor.

After a woman passes her due date, it is common for obstetricians to order the fluid measured in an ultrasound. The sonographer will measure the fluid at four even points around the baby (the noon mark, the 3 o'clock mark, 6 o'clock, & 9 o'clock) and add up the measurements. 10cm is healthy. 5cmm is worrisome.

I had this test done at my 1 week past-due (41 week) appointment with my first baby. My measurement was 1.5cm and they asked me to stay in the hospital so they could induce labor, to prevent my baby from experiencing distress especially since the fluid would get even lower over time. It turned out his heart rate was fine through the whole labor, which was fortunate. I have an acquaintance whose measurement was even lower than that and they had to induce her too.

When the pregnancy is overdue, the low fluid is not so much caused by you not drinking enough fluids as it is by your placenta being old and absorbing the fluid or not tranmitting enough fluid to the sac (not sure which). Prior to being overdue, though, it's extremely important that you get enough fluids by drinking LOTS of water. Your pee should be the faintest yellow, almost clear -- any yellower than that and you need to be drinking more. You should be drinking as much water as you can to get to this point -- I found that 8 glasses a day was not enough. Whole milk is good too since it has the calcium and fat your baby needs for bone and brain development. Stay away from too much juice as it has sugar that you don't need and that can be dangerous if you have gestational diabetes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
(female)

Judy1998 HB User
Re: not enough fluid

Hi:
For my first child when I have my last appointment the doctor told me that my belly was so little, I did notice that to, but he told me the week before all was fine, and the baby was dropping. So he sent me home and told me to come back the next day to have an ultrasound. The ultrasound shows "NO WATER AT ALL" "NONE". I did'n notice, I was no leaking at all. So all went wrong he ship me to another hospital to have an Emergency C- Section. The doctor told me that my baby was on Fetal Distress, and he only going to weight 3 pounds and few ounces. So I have the C-Section. My son had so many complications, they told my family "that he maybe is no going to make it" But he still here with me, and he is 6 years old now, thanks GOD. He was in the hospital for 6 months. Now I'm pregnant again and they rule my pregnancy "HIGH RISK" and they told me the most secure thing is to have an "Schedule C- Section" because they never found was happend in my first one. But they told me no to stress, because they are going to monitoring my pregnancy more closely. So I thing your going to be fine,because they found it early, so they know already what they can do.

Closed Thread