It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

LPN 90 HB User
Question 7th Month ankle/feet swelling

I have a friend in her 7th month of pregnancy who is having a problem with ankle/foot swelling. By the end of the day she cannot even walk in her shoes.
Any ideas besides elevation ? She works full time in an office and elevating her feet is not an option ..???

Thanks to All !

Old 05-10-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User
Re: 7th Month ankle/feet swelling

Your friend is going to have a serious problem with swelling if it's already that bad. My feet are always swollen, except I'm due any day. It's normal to swell through out pregnancy, but at 7 months, I'd say that's a little extreme, because I didn't get that way until a few weeks ago and my doctors were a little concerned even then.

She obviously isn't drinking enough water. She should be drinking at least 5 bottles of water a day. That's somewhere around 64 fl oz. Also, even though this might be hard, she needs to cut down on the salt. I wouldn't recommend eating things like popcorn, salted peanuts, vinegar dressings, chips, ect.

Other then that yes she needs to keep her feet up when possible. If she works at a desk then she can buy a cheap foot stool or put a couple phone books under her feet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

LPN 90 HB User

Thank you Lynn,
Any info. will be useful. Have a great day !

Old 05-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

HopingChris HB User

Tell your friend to stay away from salty foods. I am having the same problem with swellinginmy ankles. My doctor said all I can do is stay away from salt & prop my feet up higher than my hips. If I feel tired I sit down right away. I don't work though so it's easier for me to jump into the reclyner. Good Luck to your friend.

Chris (27wks1day)

Old 05-10-2005, 02:44 PM   #5

caedmyn HB User

She might do some research on the Brewer diet. It's designed to prevent pre-eclampsia, which swelling can be a early symptom of. There's some research indicating that you should NOT restrict salt during pregnancy--swelling is actually caused by water retention because your body does not have enough salt & your kidneys are retaining water trying to get out what salt is in your bodily fluids. Doctors will tell you to restrict salt, but do a little research first--it's easy to find out that most doctors know almost nothing about nutrition.

Closed Thread