It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

kcherrywa HB User
Delivery injuries & 2nd time around

After my first baby was born in 2003, I had a constellation of strange aches & pains that took about 6 months to fully diagnose.
#1: I had very sharp pain in my middle-upper back whenever I looked down (read: every time I nursed!) that led me to be on Tylenol pretty much constantly. This turned out to be a herniated disk in my neck causing "referred pain" in my middle back... the only explanation I have for this is that I must have tucked my chin to my chest a bit too enthusiastically during pushing in my delivery, since that is the type of motion that would cause this. This lasted about 9 months before I didn't need to be on Tylenol anymore.
#2: I had a sharp ache smack in the middle of my right buttock when I stood/walked. Xrays and MRIs revealed this to be a broken sacrum -- the wide bone near the bottom of the spine. It was broken clean through. Again, there was no cause I could figure besides labor -- the pain started pretty much right after I had the baby. This pain lasted about 6 months.
#3: I had pain in my shoulder and very limited range of movement, caused by a torn ligament in my shoulder. I think this happened from painting the baby's room the couple weeks before he arrived -- we used "Watercolor Walls" paint and I used a repetitive scrubbing motion. This pain lasted about 9 months.

Needless to say, I had a less-than-idyllic 9 months of recovery following my DS's birth.

I am due in late August with my 2nd child. So this brings me to my questions:
* Do you think my guesses as to how #1 and #2 occurred are correct?
* Are my neck and sacrum likely to be injured again, since they were injured before?
* Has anyone else experienced injuries from labor like #1 and #2? If so, have you had subsequent pregnancies/births, and did the injuries recur?
* Is there anything I can do to prevent the labor-related injuries (#1 and #2) from happening again? For #1 I can try not to extend my neck so much, but is there any way to keep my sacrum from getting re-fractured?

Thanks much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread