It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hellokitty1973 HB User
Question Pregnant with Fibroids?

Is anyone here pregnant and have a fibroid(s)? Just wondering what your experiences have been thus far. I am TTC and have one. Not sure what to expect.

Thanks for your replies!!!

Last edited by Hellokitty1973; 05-10-2005 at 11:56 AM.

Old 05-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

stacydl HB User
Re: Pregant with Fibroids?

I know they are pretty common so I am sure there are many women who have them on this board and might not even know it. I have one fibroid that is in the wall of the uterus, it's about three cm big. I am 28 weeks pregnant. It's not causing any problems at all yet and hopefully won't at all. I had another fibroid removed in Jan 04 because it was inside the uterine cavity making implantation of an embryo impossible. We tried to conceive for about two and a half years before having it removed. After removal we tried for a few months but got impatient so we ended up doing intrauterine insemination aided with ovulation stimulating drugs. Worked on the fourth try.
The type of fibroid that was causing my problems conceiving was called submucosal meaning in the cavity. Only 5% of fibroids are this type and this type is the one that causes problems. The other types usually cause no problems and I am finding that the one I have left is not causing any problems at all.
Some issues that fibroids can cause are premature labor, or sometimes the fibroid can grow very large during pregnancy causing pain. Sometimes the fibroid grows so big it outgrows it's blood supply and degenerates and causes pain. Also, depending on whether or not it's near the cervix, you may need a c-section because it might be blocking the birth canal. Mine has pretty much stayed the same size and is located at the back of my uterus, high up so it's not causing any issues so far.
Do you have a lot of them? I would say as long as none are very large or protruding into the uterine cavity that you shouldn't have any problems. If you are unsure or if they are causing you symptoms that are bothersome, you could get an ultrasound and other tests to determine if they may interfere with a pregnancy.
But don't forget that fibroids are very common and usually cause no problems. I just happened to be that one unlucky person!
I have done a ton of research on this so let me know if you have any questions!
Take care and good luck for a fast and easy conception!
Stacy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 09:04 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hellokitty1973 HB User

Thank you sooooooo much! You have definitely put my mind at ease. I do have another ultrasound scheduled for next week. I have a new ob/gyn and she just wants to see it for herself, as a baseline since we are TTC. I have one (that I know of) and it has been there for maybe 6 yrs or so. The original doctor who found it said it was in the wall of the uterus, not cavity.. which is probably why I don't get excessive bleeding and have very minimal to no symptoms. I guess just having a new doctor and having to go through all the "diagnosis" again, just gets my nerves pumping again.

I'm glad to hear your fibroid has remained ok through your pregancy! I hope to be as lucky as you! I have been off BC for about 4 months and we just really started "trying" these last 2 cycles. I am hopeful the fibroid won't interfere with this process.

Best of luck to you!!!!

Old 05-11-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

stacydl HB User

I think it's great that you're getting another ultrasound and that should tell you for sure if there's a chance of it interfering, but to me it sounds like you have every reason to believe you'll have no problems with it. If it's in the wall and doesn't protrude into the cavity, and you're having no symptoms, I would feel pretty confident that everything will be just fine. Sometimes it takes a few months to a year for a normal healthy couple to get pregnant and you seem to be doing everything possible to make sure it happens sooner rather than later by being proactive and going to the doc and following up. Hopefully it won't be long now.
Good luck!
Stacy

Old 05-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hellokitty1973 HB User

I'm hoping for it sooner rather than later.. that way, there's still time for #2

Thanks so much for your reply. I definitely feel better and not so "alone" with all this stuff. The last thing any woman wants is to hear about is something happening to her body that could potentially affect her fertility!

Hope you have a pain-free pregnancy the rest of the way!!!

Closed Thread