It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 1,148
Frynd1 HB User
I backed out. Now what?

I had a doctor's appointment today to determine whether or not I would be induced tomorrow. The doctor told me that he would go through with it, except as any doctor should, he had to warn me of all the negative aspects. He mentioned a possible long delivery, leading to C-section, and a painful intense labor. Nothing that I wasn't already aware of though. After spending the past nine months on here, I am fully aware of the consequences of being induced. For those of you who don't already know, I want to be induced in order for my boyfriend (the father) to be there. He is in the police acadamy, which is three hours away. This would be the best time for me to have the baby since his instructor permitted him to come down for the weekend. I was surprised his instructor did this (since you are required by law to attend every class) and don't expect this chance again. The problem is, I am only dialated to two centimeters and am 0% effaced. Since this isn't considered a medical need, my doctors are on the fence about inducing me. They said they would, except they prefer I wait. I'm 39 weeks though; I don't have all the time in the world. My doctor told me, "if I thought it would go badly, I would tell you no. I have to warn you of what could happen though because if something goes wrong, I'll feel responsible for letting you do this." When he said that, my mother, who was with me, freaked out. She said she wanted me to wait, which freaked me out. My doctor could sense the hesitation and said, "let's just wait, okay." Which was not okay. My mother got cold feet and it scared me. We talked about all of this before going in and she still got freaked out when he talked about the warnings. Then, my doctor said, "look, if we induce you tomorrow, you need to be at the hospital by 8:00 tonight. We'll put gel on your cervix and let you sleep on that since you aren't ready. Then, in the morning, we'll start you on pitocin." That's when I started to back out myself. I wasn't aware you had to stay an extra night to be induced? I was not ready to go in tonight! If I had the gel put in tonight and got pitocin in the morning, I could of ended up having the baby before my boyfriend even got there. He can't be at the hospital until Thursday night. Good possibility I would of had our son before he made it. Basically, I backed out. I still have the oppurtunity to do this though. I can call into the office tomorrow, speak with the doctor on call for Friday and ask if she'd be willing to induce me. If she says yes (there are 5 doctors and whichever one working has to approve) then I would go in at 8 Thursday night and have the pitocin on Friday. This sounded better to me because it gave me time to get home and pack my bag (I know I shouldn't of waited!) and let my boyfriend know what's going on. The problem is, my mother is completely against doing this now. She doesn't care if my boyfriend makes it or not anymore. She just wants to avoid forcing this. Now I'm scared too because she is supposed to be my rock. I can't believe I got cold feet! If you were in my position, would you be induced? Is it worth it to have the father there? How do I convince my mom it's okay and get over the fear myself? Ugh I don't know what to do

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 05-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Jacksonville, AL USA
Posts: 999
siren1024 HB User
Re: I backed out. Now what?

I would! I scheduled an induction with my son so my DH could be at the birth. My DH was supposed to leave for the Air Force ON my due date, and my doc was wonderful setting up an induction date. I was only 1 cm dilated and just barely effacing. I think the day I went into the hospital I was less than 20%. My water broke a week before my scheduled induction, so I was induced even earlier because of that. But my son was born in 6 hours after they started the pitocin. Had that not happened, though, I would've gone through with the induction anyway, just to make sure my DH could be there.

I think the fact that you are dilated 2 cms raises your odds of success. If you were going in on a rock hard completely closed cervix, it would be totally different. They do have to tell you of all the risks, but in my experience, induction wasn't bad at all.

I mean, you could go to 40 weeks, go into natural labor, and still end up having a long painful labor or needing a c-section. You never can tell with those things!
__________________
--Kellie
Married 09/28/2002
DS born 07/05/2003
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 05-11-2005 at 05:12 PM.

 
Old 05-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 777
PrittyGreenEyez HB User
Re: I backed out. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnDewald1
If you were in my position, would you be induced? Is it worth it to have the father there? How do I convince my mom it's okay and get over the fear myself? Ugh I don't know what to do
Okay, well since you asked...I know how important it is to have the father there. And I know it would mean alot to you, but in my opinion you need to do what is ABSOLUTELY the best for your baby. If my Dr. would have told me no...then I wouldn't do it. My Dr. advised against me going back home which was 5 hours away to see my brother (who was on leave for a week from the army)...I could have gone and not told him, but I didn't want to risk it and god forbid cause some kind of possible harm. I ask if there's any health risks posed to your son by being induced? If any at all If I were you I would wait...I would do what is best for my child first and foremost..then for me..then for my significant other. If something happened to your son, I'm sure you wouldn't want to kick yourself later and say "i should have waited." If you're having 2nd thoughts which it sounds like are I would go with those gut instincts..maybe it's your consiounce (sp??) telling you something for a reason. But that's just my opinion. I hope however whatever you decide to do, it's for the best and you have a healthy and enjoyable delivery.
__________________
~*Children are not a guarentee, they're a blessing*~
*~My lil bambino~*
~*5.1.05-7lbs. 14oz*~

 
Old 05-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,224
Gayle0000 HB User
Re: I backed out. Now what?

I was thinking exactly what redsoxcubbies said. I wouldn't induce if your body isn't ready. I personally would much rather see a birth come on normally, reduce the risk of complications, and be able to tell the father about the beautiful baby he has...than force the birth because it's something you want & think would be nice because he has a weekend off.

Getting through this should be about the baby & his/her best interest, not so much about what would be nice or convenient for you & the dad. That's just what I think.
Gayle

 
Old 05-11-2005, 06:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 795
shelliam HB User
Re: I backed out. Now what?

I would try to get induced thursday night if they approve it. I was thankful my husband was able to be there for the birth of his child. You're term and the dr seems to think it would be an ok option & for a good reason otherwise he probably have said no. The best advice I can give would be to listen to your gut insinct it's usually right. good luck in any decision you make.

 
Old 05-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 50
AngelBaby1105 HB User
Re: I backed out. Now what?

i was induced w/ my first, i dont believe i was effaced hrdly at all and only dialated 1/2 cm,(i had preclamcia) They gave me a pill to thin me out, i had contractions that kept me up all night the next day they put me on pitocinwich did nothing but put me in more pain and eventually they had to take me off it because it didnt do anything so later that night they just gave me another pill and that was at 8 pm my water broke at 1:00amand I delivered my son at 5:33 am. It does make the labor more intense and can cause stress on the baby. I have no objections but let me tell you if I had the choice to have the labor come on natural i would go for it because it hurts like h***. In your case if this is your only chance to have the father there i would go for it!!!

 
Old 05-11-2005, 06:50 PM   #7
Inactive
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 965
mommaboyz HB User
Re: I backed out. Now what?

Lynn at 39 weeks your babys fine. If there was a problem then they wouldnt induce for the simple fact that they would be accountable. It is scarry the whole fact that this is your first time is scarry too im sure. This is my 4 baby and I would die if my dh wasnt there. I will be induced on the 23 which will put me at 39 weeks as well. If I dont go first. I understand your mom freaking you out too. I delt with that my first time around.
If I were you I would do 1 of 2 things. either get induced and try something like the caster oil. Ive not done it and heard good and bad things about it. The majority of the people said it does work though. Im half tempted to try it myself this week. But if you dont want to do that I totally understand too. you have to do whats best for you no matter what anyone else thinks.

 
Old 05-11-2005, 07:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 1,148
Frynd1 HB User
Re: I backed out. Now what?

For those of you who have been induced ~ Is it normal to be scared and have second thoughts? I want to do this, I'm just scared. I want my boyfriend there though.

My biggest fear is that the baby won't want to come out (duh.) They want to put me on the gel over night and start pitocin in the morning. If the gel works and I thin out, are my chances just as good as anyone else's for having a smooth delivery? Aside from not being effaced, my son is still up high in the birth canal. What problems can this cause and with the gel and pitocin move him down? Is it dangerous to go into this with him still up high?

 
Old 05-12-2005, 07:32 AM   #9
TJR TJR is offline
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 190
TJR HB User
Re: I backed out. Now what?

If I were you I would go for it!! The doctor hs given you the ok and this is a once in a lifetime chance for you & your bf to share the birth of your first child together. Good luck hun!!

 
Old 05-12-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Jacksonville, AL USA
Posts: 999
siren1024 HB User
Re: I backed out. Now what?

As for being nervous, that's completely normal, induced or not. I was apprehensive about my scheduled induction. Then my water broke and they had to get the baby out, and I was still nervous! It's very common when it's your first baby because you don't know what to expect.

As for the danger of the baby being that high, I went into natural labor with my 2nd and she was still -3 station when I was at 8 cms. They actually gave me pitocin first to bring her down before my water broke, because there's more danger when baby is that high and your water breaks because the cord can prolapse. It brought her down just a bit, but my labor went so fast that she was still only -2. She went from there to out in 12 minutes. LOL. The cord still prolapsed just a little (it came out beside her, though not ahead of her) and caused her to have really severe decelerations in her heartrate as she was trying to squeeze through. She ended up being fine, though the last few minutes were scary. But that was a natural labor! I had no problems with my first, who was induced from 1 cm. So the risks are there, IMO, induced or natural.

I would say if the gel works, your chances are definitely as good as anyone elses. That's what I was told by my first OB. If the cervix is favorable, the c-sec rate for an induction is the same as a natural labor.
__________________
--Kellie
Married 09/28/2002
DS born 07/05/2003
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 05-12-2005 at 08:21 AM.

 
Old 05-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lake Orion, MI, USA
Posts: 548
JodyC HB User
Re: I backed out. Now what?

I would go for it. I've jumped through so many personal hoops with this pregnancy to make sure DH could be at the labor because I wanted him there sooo badly. Not to get too personal, but DH was arrested for OWI-2 offense, which carries a 5-day to 1 year jail sentense. We were CONVINCED though that he was innocent, and had a great case to prove it. Only problem is, if we fought it and lost, judge was likely to give him 90 days so he wouldn't be there for the baby. DH got a plea bargain b/c of our situation, plead guilty (to something he wasn't guilty of), spent 15 days in jail, and has lost his drivers license for one year - all so he could be sure to be at the birth of this child. You are in a hard predicament, but I understand your wanting to have your boyfriend there, this is a "once-in-a-lifetime" situation. Of course, baby's health is #1 priority, but if your doctor feels it is OK, then go for it.

 
Old 05-12-2005, 11:33 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 1,148
Frynd1 HB User
Re: I backed out. Now what?

I just got a call back from the doctor and they want me there at 7:45 tonight. Words can't express how scared I am. This is my first time and it's going to be with induction.

Is it common to get sent home if nothing progresses?

 
Old 05-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #13
TJR TJR is offline
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 190
TJR HB User
Re: I backed out. Now what?

Honey calm down!!! Being stressed most definitely will not help speed along the process!! Good luck. By this time tomorrow you may have your son in your arms. Be excited!! Ill be praying for you!

 
Old 05-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 894
zekat HB User
Re: I backed out. Now what?

Oh sweetie! How exciting! So, it's a go, huh?
Good luck, congradulations and everything else beautiful!!!

 
Old 05-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #15
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15
stacedmlm2005 HB User
Re: I backed out. Now what?

Just wanted to wish you happy and healthy delivery. I am pretty nervous too... I am scheduled tomorrow to be induced with my third child. I would say if we weren't nervous at this point we wouldn't be human. We have been waiting nine long months for this and anticipating the outcome. Good luck to you and I am looking forward to hearing your birth story.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Meds have me backed up dismama Foot & Ankle Problems 5 08-26-2008 02:31 PM
kicked backed down frizbie Depression 0 05-20-2008 04:35 AM
I Backed Into a Door Knob, While Moving a Sofa almondjoy Knee & Hip Problems 1 05-12-2008 11:41 PM
Chronic constipation. Backed up stool! spiro9210 Bowel Disorders 6 01-14-2007 10:13 AM
What causes that hunch backed look? strongernow Exercise & Fitness 4 07-11-2006 02:12 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Seraph (6), cattieos (2), mumovhann (2), kittenkaboodle (2), Xkwizit (2), TwinMamma (2), quinyonna07 (2), Kali333 (2), hillarynotclinton (1), lovelyme (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (999), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (667), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:13 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!