It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
(male)

FreddyX HB User
How many sperm to break down egg wall?

I've seen discussions about this. Obviously only one sperm cell does the job, but I have read that it takes many sperm to actually break down and weaken the egg wall so that the one sperm can penetrate. One lone sperm by the egg will not likely get through by itself(?) How true is this?

Old 05-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User
Re: How many sperm to break down egg wall?

I have never heard that, I thought it was only one. Once a sperm gets in, the walls of hte egg harden so that no more can get in. Which i know that isn't what you asked, but I don't think that one could get partway in, that would risk too many getting in at the same time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2005, 06:34 PM   #3
(female)

DazedandConfused HB User
Question Re: How many sperm to break down egg wall?

I believe, if memory serves me well, there have been studies on this subject..they found out that not all sperm are "fertilizer" sperm, some are barrier sperm which they clump together and form a barrier to foreign sperm, this comes form ancestors when females were copulated by many males..this is a defense mechanism for the sperm so that thier genetic information reached the egg...i would nto be able to give any more details not quite sure on the whole mechanism of it...then u mentioned about sperm breaking down the egg barrier..this is true, if u ever seen a egg surrounded by sperm in attempts to fertilize it the egg would be spinning from the force of them trying to penetrate it..this do break down the barrier of the egg, but i think there are "helper" sperm that aids the "fertilzer" sperm to penetrate the egg..not quite sure but i do know what u are trying to ask..but i think u r right..this is the best way i know how to explain this.....hope it helps a bit

Take care

DazedandConfused

Closed Thread