It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
(female)

Whoababy HB User
Exclamation Horseback Riding

Hello All,
I know riding isn't good but I was wondering if light riding was OK. For example, I won't lope(canter) or trot alot with the horses, I need to turnback. In order to do this I have to make alot of jerking motions and hard stops (but theres also alot of sitting and waiting involved). We use cattle so you've got to be fast! I'm asking someone else to do the saddles and heavy lifting. I've been there the longest and have the most experience so no ones else is really able to do it. I'm only 6 weeks so does it even matter if I ride my horse normally? I was just wondering because I clean/feed the horses on Saturdays and this past weekend I had alot of trouble finishing everything without getting tired or crampy. Any info would help. Thanks alot!

ps. I haven't been riding alot because of the weather so i'm not really conditioned for it at this point - will this make a difference?

Last edited by Whoababy; 05-15-2005 at 11:35 AM.

Old 05-15-2005, 08:04 PM   #2

Maggpie HB User
Re: Horseback Riding

Hi, Whoababy.
I ride but quit when I became pregnant. It isn't worth the chance of loosing the baby for me.
My girlfriend rode her horses up to 8.5 months (she couldn't fit in the saddle anymore) and she didn't have any problems. She took it really easy and only walked I believe.
Riding is just a really high risk activity and the jolting and whatnot can cause a miscarriage. I certainly would not chase cows or anything, but I think leisurely 'ditch riding' would be fine for a little while -- as long as you are confident in your horse and sure there would be no abrupt movements or falls or anything.
I decided to quit riding, hockey, etc. because it wasn't worth it for me, but you will have to judge your own situation.
Good Luck.
Maggs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Ive not researched it but you should ask your doctor. IMO I would say no becouse just like rides at the fair the doctors will tell you NO NO even the easy ones. I dont think the jerking is good not to mention what if you accidently fell off even though im sure your a good rider you never know.

Old 05-16-2005, 12:33 AM   #4
(female)

Whoababy HB User

So i guess fridays outlook isn't good. No turnback for me, I'm not going to risk my baby to do someone else a favor (even as much as I would like to). Eh oh well, thanks for your help! I guess this means that I have to find a sub rider for my poor horse - he sure is getting fat! Thanks again, KC

Old 05-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #5

caedmyn HB User

I know some doctors allow women who are experienced riders to continue riding until their center of gravity changes too much. You would have to ask your doctor for sure, but there probably wouldn't be any problem with you simply exercising/trail riding your horse as long as she's not real hot.

I personally wouldn't have a problem starting to ride again on a horse I trusted at slower gaits at this point (I'm 9 weeks), but I wouldn't do any jumping or ride green or hot horses. You just have to do whatever you are comfortable with or your doctor okays.

Closed Thread