It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ducki979 HB User
Induction...to do or not to do?!?!?

Well, i was due on the 14th, but here i sit ...still pregnant.
I had a doctors appt this morning and they want to schedule an induction on wed night.
This is my first baby, and im not really for being induced, but i am so tired at this point that i dont know what i want.

I guess im wondering what you ladies think about being induced with a first child and not being quite a week overdue?
(believe me when i tell you that this is NOT something i had really even given consideration)

Thanks

Old 05-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Re: Induction...to do or not to do?!?!?

I'd do it, mainly because new studies show increased risks to the baby when more than a week overdue. It used to be thought that up to two weeks overdue was fine, but now they know it depends on if you are REALLY overdue or not, or did you just ovulate later than you thought. KWIM? The placenta has a 40 week lifespan, and starts breaking down rapidly after that. My friend was allowed to go a week and a half overdue and after 40 weeks her fluid levels started decreasing. By the time she was induced, they were dangerously low (which lead to severe cord compression during labor) and baby had had a BM in utero. He didn't breath for 4 minutes after birth. Every day after 42 weeks, the risks of stillbirth and serious problems increase.

My first OB told me that he rarely let patients go for more than a week over because the risks of being overdue outweigh the risk of induction.
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 05-16-2005 at 11:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2005, 11:14 AM   #3

caedmyn HB User

I personally would wait at least another week. I read that first time moms give birth an average of 8 days past their due date. Also, induction has some risks to both you and the baby which you might want to research before consenting to it. It can also cause you to have very intense labor that doesn't actually accomplish anything (no progress). Unless there are medical reasons to induce, it might be better to wait until the baby is ready to come out.

Old 05-17-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ducki979 HB User

thanks ladies.....i still have some thinking to do....

any other thoughts on this????

Old 05-17-2005, 10:19 PM   #5
(female)

dannysmom HB User

All I can say is that I was induced with all 3 of my kids. The first was 10 days late, the second 5 days and the third was induced at 39.2. Although I don't have anything to compare it to, I don't think its as awful as people make it out to be. I was in labor about 10 hours with each one. Thats from when they started pitocin to when I delivered. Its totally up to you if you want to do it. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing something you don't want.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

If your doctor brought it up first, there is probably a reason. I would talk to the doc more about what he/she is thinking. Remember, to focus on doing what's right for the health of the baby...and not focus on what you wanted or expected to happen.

I'm having my first, and I was told very early on that if the baby is late, my doc will not let it go past 7 days late due to fluid and placenta.
Gayle

Closed Thread