It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 10:12 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hypnotic HB User
Thumbs down prenatals

hi all. does anyone have a problem with prenatals? im wondering if this is why i feel so sick. i took my vitamin at 930 this morning and first off it made me gag, lol. but before i took it i felt ok. I think starting tomorrow i will take it before i go to bed and see how i feel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 10:23 AM   #2
(female)

wyliemom HB User
Re: prenatals

I have the same problem. I cant and dont take prenatals because they make me horribly sick. Some people take them at night and that works, but I cant. I do take 2 Flintstone children vits a day and they work fine. Of course I asked the Dr. first and he said that was fine, alot of women do that. So if all else fails try that and of course ask your Dr. first. Hang in there!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrittyGreenEyez HB User

The same thing happened to me as well when I was pregnant. I stopped taking my pre-natals for about a week because they made me horribly sick. That is until a girlfriend of mine gave me the suggestion that I too take them at night and miraculously it worked. I was out like a log and slept through the icky feeling that it gave me.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

I couldn't tolerate prenatals either. I take flinstones with Iron and two chewable viactive calcium suplements. My doc also said that a lot of women do this.
GOod Luck!

Old 05-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

InDueTime05 HB User

I had the same problem when I was pregnant with my DS. I would get so sick. Finally, my Dr told me to try taking them at night and wouldn't you know it worked. It was weird how I would get sick in the morning even if I layed down after I took them but at night I would be fine. I also had to take them with milk. This pregnancy I haven't been sick once thank goodness. My new Dr put me on new vitamins and I take one in the AM and one in the PM. Don't know the difference but I haven't been sick once this time from my vitamins. Try taking it at night and if that still doesnt' work talk to your doctor about it. You don't need one more thing adding to all the pregnancy woes lol.
Brandon James 5/11/99 @ 4:48pm
Jade Elizabeth 6/7/05 @ 7:41pm

Old 05-18-2005, 11:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I never took prenatals with either of my pregnancies. They didn't make me sick, but they made me horribly constipated. I am one of those people who don't need a hefty iron supplement. I too took flintstones and folic acid in the first trimester. My iron levels were better while I was PG than most women's are not PG. I never even took my postpartum iron supplements (my docs kept harping on me for this, so I never mentioned it) and my level was a 13.5 last time it was checked. I think some women don't need them, and baby can definitely be okay with proper diet.

I have a friend who's father is a nutritional scientist in Europe. Apparently it's a big joke there that "Americans have the world's healthiest urine." They say this because we are so supplement crazed that we take way more than our bodies need, so it is excreted as waste in the urine and very obvious when tested. LOL.
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 05-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
(female)

hreiter HB User

I usually take them before I go to bed with a glass of milk and that seems to work for me... I tried taking them in the morning and was getting sick... I then tried taking them at night with water and I still didn't feel that great... taking them at night with milk has been the only way I feel alright...

Old 05-18-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
(female)

TJR HB User

I read that you are supposed to drink them on a full stomach. Maybe thats why it makes you sick.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Hypnotic HB User

I honestly dont know if its just the way that i need to feel on this pregnancy or if it is actually the vitamins. I will let you guys know in a couple days. If all else fails maybe I will take those Flinstones vitamins . thanks for your help ladies

Old 05-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

Eat a big bowl of cerial!! Although i never got sick or anything, i found that has practically the same amount of each vitamin as the prenatals anyway! loads of iron in cerial and vitamin B's and the milk is the calcium.
i do that and take extra folic acid which is a tiny pill on its own anyway! tastes better too

Old 05-18-2005, 05:00 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

I too am part of the Flintstone generation! I also take a folic acid and extra iron supplements if I can stomoach them.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

im1here HB User

Those darn things constipated me for 2 HORRIBLE weeks!! I felt so terrible about not being able to take them, but my MD said my blood tests were fine and to just take my regular multivitamin...the only bad thing was even my regular one made me sick and throw up...so I had to break them in half and take 3 TUMS before taking them.

Jenn

Old 05-18-2005, 07:45 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Taking them at night worked for me. By the time I digested them I was alseep and didn't have a problem. But is the taste making you gag? I tried one pre-natal that had a nasty taste that wouldn't go away no matter how much I drank, if they taste bad change brands. I use Materna and love them. (but the generic version of Materna I can't take because of the taste) There are also new prenatals that have a 2 dose per day dose...these are easier on your stomach because it breaks up the doses of all the vitamins into 2 so your body doesn't react to the big overload of the one a day kinds. Ask your OB. Goodluck.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:19 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Hypnotic HB User

Hi Ladies, I am very happy today because I have not taken my prenatal yet, lol! I think that is what the problem is, Im gonna take it tonight. Thank you for all your good advice!

Old 05-19-2005, 11:32 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

I have always taken mine at night cause i heard it wasn't as bad, so maybe give it a try. I take mine at 9-9:30 at night before bed. Good luck to you.
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Closed Thread