It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
(female)

wyliemom HB User
Question When can I eat normal? Need to vent..

Up until I was 13 weeks I have had m/s. But even though I dont throw up every day now, I still get sick at least 2-3 times a week. I cant eat most of the things I crave and its making me mad. This is the time we are suppose to be able to eat and enjoy our food, not waste it in the toilet.I know this is part of pregnancy, but Im ready for this to pass. Im 19 weeks, and I cant eat ice cream, milk or anything sugary or sweet. Yet I can handle sour things like pickles or lemons. I cant eat mexican food or anything the least bit spicy. Usually pasta or sandwiches are the only thing I dont get sick with. I cant even eat cereal!! UGGGHHH.. Whats wrong with my stomach? What causes these reactions to food when your prego? I use to eat all this stuff before. Any one else with this problem? Anything that you would think you couldnt keep down but you do, or vice versa?? Just needed to vent and see if Im alone with this...

Old 05-18-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User
Re: When can I eat normal? Need to vent..

I'll be 23 weeks on Sunday and I'm still dealing with food aversions/cravings. My appetite is all over the place. A while back I was diagnosed with Hyperemesis Gravidarum which is extreme sickness and nausea. I was hoping that it would have passed by now but I'm still getting sick and my appetite and aversions change from day to day. It's a nightmare! I have anti-sickness tablets to take and my midwife told me to just eat what/when I can.

As far as reactions to food go I've heard the theory that the chemicals released by the placenta are what cause morning sickness and nausea. Some women just react differently to the chemical changes. My mom for instance never had any sickness at all whereas I've been floored by it.

Feel free to vent here anytime you need to. That's what we're here for. Lord knows I've vented loads about my troubles with sickness! You're definately not alone hun. ((HUGS))

Take care.

Nicole x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
(female)

mom'o'5 HB User

Girl, if anyone can relate it's me. I am the queen of m/s. I usually only type in the may mommies board, but I saw this and had to stop by. I am 40 weeks tomorrow with baby #5, and yes, i'm still barfing everyday. And it's nothing new to me. All of my pg's have been this way. I've tried every stupid home remedy I heard of from saltine crackers to ginger root tea and unfortunatly there is no cure. But this pg my doc gave me Reglan and it made a huge difference. It allowed me to roll out of bed and actually eat, and about 90% of the time I kept the food down. I don't take it now bc my m/s is actually only in the morning now and then i'm fine for the rest of the day. My doc told me that m/s is still kind of a mystery, but one study they did showed that certain races and cultures are affected more than others. He said for example, eskimos seem to be affected more severely than anyone else in the study. I found that interesting. But i'm not eskimo, i'm italian, so why am I so sick. Who knows. The only other relief I could find beside the reglan was to chug a glass of water and just throw up, as much as I hate throwing up. But then afterward I could eat something and it would usually stay down. Another thing, as much as you just want to pig out, don't. that makes you throw up too. Eat just enough to not be hungry. If you fill your gut you will be throwing up all night. I know it sucks, but it should end soon.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:40 AM   #4
(female)

dackard HB User

Well I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but I was throwing up everyday for 7 months when I was pregnant. I found eating very slowly to help a lot. Also, eating smaller quantities more frequently helped. I found if my blood sugar got too low, I got really nauseated.

You could also ask your doctor to give you Diclectin which is supposed to help with morning sickness, although it never helped me. I also took Gravol when it was really bad. You'll hate me saying this, but there's a silver lining in that if you can't indulge on the ice cream and sugary things, you won't end up with an 11 pound baby and a c-section. :0

Last edited by dackard; 05-19-2005 at 12:43 AM.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:20 AM   #5
(female)

wyliemom HB User

I didnt realize soo many others had m/s so bad also. I feel for all of you now!!lol. But mine is never in the morning, just in the afternoon and night time. I was thinking about the things I cant eat and it seems to be anything with dairy in it, besides chocalate milk, I get sick with. But then I cant hold down normal food either. I will ask my Dr. about it and see what he says. I havent wanted to ask to be honest. But I think its time to do something if I can. I do eat smaller meals, my stomach cant hold near what I use to eat. And I stay away from fried or greasy things.Well thanks everyone for your suggestions and letting me know Im not alone. I hope everyone starts feeling better too.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:31 AM   #6
(female)

mom'o'5 HB User

wylie-I was talking to a friend of mine about m/s, and we got on the subject of the health board. She had m/s with her 1st similar to yours. The same time of day and she couldn't eat dairy either. Turns out when she had her son, he was allergic to dairy. Not trying to scare you but it's a possibility. He's not deathly allergic and the allergy kind of faded away by age 5. He's 8 years old now and he can finally tolerate dairy without getting rash. Maybe you can talk with doc about it. Your body does strange things for a reason, maybe it's trying to protect the baby. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread