It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
(female)

newmommy1 HB User
Exclamation whats this mean?

ok. so i was reading one of my sisters babys books today & i saw that if your doctor tells you that your like a month pregnant your really only 2 weeks? same as being 5 weeks your really only 3 weeks and so on. so if my doctor says im 6 weeks im only a month? that confuses me. lol. someone help Thnx!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User
Re: whats this mean?

It means that technically the actual baby has only been inside of you for a month. When they count gestational age they count from the first day of your last period. That is usually two weeks before you ovulate and become pregnant. So technically during those two weeks you weren't pregnant, but that is where they decide to count from.

So if you actually conceived on the 15th of January (just pulling dates out of thin air ), then they would actually count from the first of January as that is probably the first day of your last period. So at that point, at the moment of conception, they would deem you two weeks along.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2005, 05:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User
Re: whats this mean?

You should ask your doctor to clarify for you...example: if he says you're 6 weeks...just ask if thats 6 weeks since conception, or 6 weeks since ovulation.

Most likely it's ovulation. The doctors/nurses all go by the ovulation...the rest of the non-medical civilian world doesn't understand this thought process. Trying to figure out when conception happenned seems to be easier to understand for people...but it's not the way the docs count.

I just tell everybody to not try and figure it out...just accept the week number for what is is.
Gayle

Closed Thread