It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
(female)

Kimberly HB User
Post c-section question

Hello,

I had my baby via c-section May 9th. I'm feeling great, a little tender by times but really good. I was just wondering, I've been laying on my back since having my son. Is it save to try sleeping on my side? I'm worried about ripping something open so I'm staying on my back to keep all pressure off my stomach. I've been laying on my side somewhat on the couch and find that easy cause the back of the couch supports my back. I was wondering about in bed though.

As well, after 6 weeks are you pretty much safe of any risks to infection of the incision area?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Kim

Old 05-19-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
(female)

wyliemom HB User
Re: Post c-section question

Ive had two c-sections and I layed on my back at first because it was uncomfortable to lay otherwise. When ever you feel ok laying on your side and no pain I would say its ok, I did it and I was ok.Im a side sleeper and I was ready to get back to my side. And after 6 weeks if you havent gotten an infection in your incision then its pretty safe to say you wont. But Im not a Dr. Im just telling you from my experience. I didnt get an infection with my first but I did a little with my second. But it was only a week after when I got it, and they told me to use Dial soap. Congrats on the new little one..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
(female)

FPratt416 HB User

I think I babied myself after I had my first c-section...... but I think as long as you are comfortable I would try your side first and see how that goes, I mean if you're really concerned and worried you can always call your doctor's nurse to see what they advise you to do....
Congrats with your lil one.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

HopingChris HB User

I have had 3 c-sections & will be having my 4th this July. You are safe to sleep on your side as long as it is comfortable to you. I slept on my side the same night after my 1st c-section. It was just more comfortable to me that way. I couldn't for a few weeks after my other c-sections though. You should be fine by your 6 week apt. for no infections. The doctor should check you at 6 weeks. Here is a little tip just in case you didn't know, if the doctor has not yet removed the small pieces of tape go ahead & do it before you go back to your doc. they are not gentle at all. I always got my hubby to do it for me.

Good Luck!
Chris (29wks)

Old 05-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
(female)

Kimberly HB User

Thank you for the responses

I got my staples out last Wednesday but my doctor didn't put any tape over the incision. He said I could wear a maxi pad over it to cover it up if I wanted. I feel like things are healing well. I slept on my right hand side last night comfortably so I guess it's fine. I'm looking forward to taking a hot bath soon though!

Any idea on when you can start bending over to pick things up? I'm guessing 6 weeks.

Old 05-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
(female)

navysab HB User

I had my c-section on April 30 and when I still had pain I could only lay on my back, but as soon as my pain went away I have been laying on my side, even my stomach, and I haven't had any problems. I'm sure it's fine, just as long as you don't have any more discomfort.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #7

pgta5 HB User

Side sleeping is definately fine as long as it doesn't cause you discomfort. You will not rip. You would have to have a very strong jerking motion in order to tear your incision. I also had a c-section and my father had a colon resection last year with a 20 inch VERTICAL incision. That is much more uncomfortable.

If I remember, bending should be at least 2-3 weeks (you are in that window now) They key is nothing that causes paid. Bend with your knees! I am 5 years out and my incision is barely visible.

Closed Thread