It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
(female)

Mmshelll HB User
RH Negative

I was just told that I am RH negative so need to get a shot and then a RH antibody screen test. Has anyone had this done and if so at what week? I am 25 weeks tomorrow, and have read online the shot should be given at 28 weeks as it only lasts 12 weeks then another one after the birth if baby is RH positive. Help -- if anyone knows anything about this. Thanks!

Old 05-19-2005, 06:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User
Re: RH Negative

Its not a big deal at all. I am not sure exactly at what week it is given, but you do have to have the shot again after the baby comes. As long as it is treated it really doesnt' pose any harm to you or the baby. I have heard that the injection site will hurt a little afterwards, but I just told you that to warn you, I hope it didn't scare you!
Anyway, good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
(female)

Mmshelll HB User

Thanks for the info. I did IVF so am use to injections so don't worry didn't scare me : ) Thanks for your help!

Old 05-19-2005, 09:12 PM   #4

cpa2b HB User

Iím RH negative as well. Just got my RhoGam shot at my last appointment. I was 30 weeks. They usually like to give it around 28 weeks and then another one within 72 hours (I think) after birth. The shot is no big deal. I got mine in the hip and it didnít hurt at all.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:03 AM   #5

mamabear28 HB User

I too am Rh-. I received the shot twice during this pregnancy. I received it at three months because I began to bleed ( they need to give it to you in case there is any blood exchange and the baby may be positive) I then received it again at 28 weeks since the shot is only good for three months then I would be protected untill the end of the pregnancy. Then when I deliver they will type test the baby for there blood type and if the baby is positive I will receive another shot.

Now if your partner is also negative then you do not need to get the shots at all! You can tell easily by his blood type if he has a negative after his letter then he is too negative and you won't have to worry at all.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:04 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

im1here HB User

I'm Rh neg too...its a very common thing...it just means that your blood type is A, B, AB or O negative, and there's a chance your baby could be positive (my son is positive). I got 2 shots, one during pg (don't remember exactly when) and one before I left the hospital.

Actually, I miscarried a few months ago and got one after that too...it's to protect any furture babies that we might have...
Congrats on your baby BTW!!
Jenn

Old 05-20-2005, 10:28 AM   #7
(female)

lil*hottie HB User

I am RH negitave too...So as you can see it is not an uncommon thing...I am 34 weeks and 5 days and I had my shot when I was about 28 weeks or so...I am not fond of needles so it kinda stung for a little while but it wasn't as bad as I thought...

Old 05-21-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I'm RH- too. I can't remember how far along I was with Kierra when I had the shot, I'd have to look it up but I'm not at home right now. I had the second injection right after I delivered her. I don't even know her blood type to be honest. I'm going to have to check...I'm curious now. LOL
I had a miscarriage last summer and got another injection like the other poster said to protect future pregnancies.
I am now 26 weeks and will be getting the shot at 28 weeks. And again after delivery.
They give the shot in the fatty part of your upper hip, it doesn't hurt too much, and I didn't have any pain at the site afterward. Take care.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
(female)

Mmshelll HB User

Thank you all for your helpful info. From everything i have read and your responses, the shot is given at 28 weeks, but I am now 25 weeks and need a shot right before I go to the lab for the RH screen test (which will be tomorrow) ... perhaps this is not the same shot and that one will come at 28 wks or do you think my dr is having me do it too early .. hmm! Hate to second guess her, but have had problems in the past w/dr's giving wrong info. Thanks again and good luck to you all

Old 06-09-2005, 04:49 PM   #10
(female)

KLKL HB User

Mmshell, How did the injection go? did it hurt? I need to go soon for mine. I am RH negative too. I don't like needles!!

Last edited by KLKL; 06-09-2005 at 06:05 PM.

Closed Thread