It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 06:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User
Question Strees & a Single Parent

I was wondering what Stress can do to my unborn daughter. I am 31 yrs old and becoming pregnant was an accident. But after having a devastating miscarriage 3 yrs ago while in a long term relationship my only option now was to have this child. Everything was going well until the past few weeks when i found out that my boss was spending too much money and he would be laying off employees. Today i found out that i was one of them. I made good money so being a single mom would be no problem.

I am so stressed right now and i am really trying not to be. I know it can't be healthy for the baby. It will be hard for me to find another job right now because i am just starting my 21 week today and who would want to hire someone who has to leave for 6 weeks in a few months. I live in NY and i do not know if i am entitled to any benefits. Any insight would be greatly appretiated.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Justawondering HB User
Re: Strees & a Single Parent

Stress can have dangerous effects on your child Some have said that it is as dangerous as heroin to an unborn child.. I know in most states that unemployment can help and im sure that you can get some kind of assistance call your local unemployment or state unemployment office and they should be able to help good luck and im sorry this happened at such an untimely moment Good Luck and keep us posted...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 06:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User
Re: Strees & a Single Parent

I worked some where, where this girl had started and she was only a few months pg and she never said a word to anyone since she needed the job. Then as she got bigger people started asking her if she was pg and she said yes. She said what she was going to do was work right up until she had the baby and then leave the job and after the baby to find another one since she didn't know how they would react to her being pg. Turns out that when the boss heard the situation she was told she could have maternity leave like everyone else as long as she promised to come back after leave. I would think that when you are applying for a job it is none of anyone's business whether you are pg or not. They are not hiring you on those grounds. If you find you really like the job let them know when you are comfortable and tell them you plan on being back. Anyone could be starting a new job and then the next day find out they are pg. And in 8 months need maternity leave. It happens. Companies have to have policies on that sort of thing. So as soon as you get your new job check into it. Or go about it quietly ahead of time. Or get a job and then when the time comes to have the baby quit and l0ok when it is time to go back to to work. And I am in NJ but I do believe that in NY you can apply for disability when you are out of work to have a baby. The company I work for has offices in NY.

Closed Thread