It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2005, 04:58 AM   #1

Thando HB User
Question A couple of questions!

Question 1: I know that when you're PG you should lay off soft cheeses and processed meat due the bacteria Listeria (I think). What about other deli type meats like ham and pastrami? I'm TTC and my sister is PG, she eats pastrami all the time. Is it safe?

Question 2: My sister also had a few rooms in there house painted recently, how bad would the paint fumes be for her unborn baby.

Thanks

Old 05-20-2005, 07:51 AM   #2
(female)

jaybird75 HB User
Re: A couple of questions!

Hi - Personally, I paid attention to those rules for the 1st trimester, and then pretty much have been doing my own thing - I don't nuke my deli meats, I eat hot dogs, and I've had brie, feta, etc. now and then. My baby is fine, but it's been my personal choice to eat this way - all the books make recommendations to the contrary. It sounds like your sister is doing her own thing too - if it works for her, then great. I've personally never gotten sick from bad deli meat - that's the risk, that it sould give you listeriosis or whatnot - so I didn't see any reason to change my eating habits. If your sis in comfortable with her diet, I'd say she's fine.

The paint fumes - obviously not the healthiest thing - she should try and stay out of them, or at least make sure there's plenty of ventilation. Are they going to cause birth defects or something horrible? Probably not, but who knows - she might want to consult with her doctor for a second opinion. She should definitely be careful around any lead paint/chips/dust - like if the room had old lead paint on it before it was repainted and the old paint was sanded off or something - that can be very dangerous, because the particulate matter can be inhaled and cause problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 08:05 AM   #3

marnic HB User

I visited with a nutritionist during my first trimester. I specifically asked about deli meats. She told me it was perfectly okay to eat deli meat. Some women are overly cautious, which is probably a good thing, but I have been eating deli meat and haven't been too worried about it. The chances for listeriosis are pretty small. I have also had some feta cheese on occasion. I tried to avoid those types of things in my first trimester but have loosened up a bit since then. As long as it's not an every day indulgence, I think it's okay.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

They say dont eat liver as it has alot of vitamin A init! mum ate it every week when she was having us and we are fine! also say eating peanuts gives baby a nut allergie! well mum ate lots of peanut butter and none of us have allergies!! so i dont get all hyped that much, only drives u mad!
I painted the fence outside the other day i dont think paint is going to hram ur baby!
I dont smoke or drink and take vitamins, i dont go eating liver, soft cheeses cus i dont like them really anyway.
Dont go crazy but by being too worried u will drive urself crazy and thats not healthy!

Old 05-20-2005, 06:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

The paint will most likely be fine, she just needs to make sure the rooms are well ventialted, and of course, not just stick her nose in the can or anything!
As for the foods, I am just going to tell you what I learned from the CDC and from my Dr. Lysteria is present in a lot of things, Icecream, meats, soft cheeses. The only way to kill lysteria is to heat it, so if you can't heat something that could have it, I don't eat it. So I gave up ice cream, and anything meat I get I heat until it is steaming. Lysteria is very very very bad for pregnant women and their babies. Most healthy adults get it and don't even know. however it can cause miscarriage for pregnant women, and all kinds of other problems.
I wont' eat any of the things that coudl have it in it, without heating them to steaming first, i won't eat the soft cheeses at all or ice cream. It is unlikey to get lysteria, but it only would take one germ.

Old 05-21-2005, 01:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Dear God Woman!!! You gave up Ice Cream? How'd you manage that one??

Old 05-21-2005, 03:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

My midwife told me to avoid soft serve ice cream but other than that ice cream is alright. I don't eat it very often anyway...only a little bit when I think it may help settle my stomach. As far as deli meat goes I never eat it and have only heard that it's liver you need to avoid.

Old 05-21-2005, 06:53 AM   #8
(female)

basstracker1970 HB User

Interesting, My doc told me to eat liver at least 2 times a week because it is full of iron and my iron levels are low! hummm I wonder if they even know what they are talking about?

Old 05-22-2005, 07:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

It wasn't hard once I saw a show where a bunch of women lost their babies in the 7th month from infected icecream, from lysteria. So I looked it up on various "reliable" sites, like FDA, CDC, stuff like that, and found out that it could happen. I have told DH though that as soon as this baby comes out I want 10 cherrycokes, a milkshake and a chocolate sundae! LOL!

Old 05-22-2005, 11:31 PM   #10

Thando HB User

I also told DH to bring the things I was not allowed to eat while I was PG. I didn't remind him again before going into hospital, but he remembered. That was so sweet.

Old 05-23-2005, 03:59 AM   #11
(female)

Lynn10x05 HB User

I did the same thing with the deli meats, I wouldnt eat them because I was told by some people it wasnt safe, until about 2 weeks ago i was craving a hoagie, so i called my doc to see if i could eat it, she said the only thing that she has ever heard of not bein able or shouldnt eat is certain kinds of fish

Old 05-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

They are safe IF you heat them and anythign that has touched them. The reason they are not safe is because of the risk of lysteria. But, if you heat them to steaming, then they are ok. But you would also have to heat the bread and cheese if they had touched. I know, I sound paranoid, but it's true.

Closed Thread