It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

TESS1 HB User
Overweight And Expecting

I am 4 weeks pregnant and overweight. I am so worried. I feel like I will be too fat to carry the baby. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome which is pretty well under control, I was diagnosed last September and the treatment is really working. I also dont have a working thyroid, which is also under control with medication. And I just switched today from Atenolol to Aldomet for high blood pressure. I recently lost 40 pounds with diet and exercise, which i still continue to do, but i'm still weighing in at 229. I am only 5 foot. I know women twice my size have babies, but I dont know how! I gained all this weight due to the medical problems I mentioned above and I'm afraid if I gain anymore I may kill over or the doctor will be disgusted by looking at my fat. I am so ashamed of the way I look. I kind of planned my pregnancy, but thought it would take me several months to get pregnant since I have polycystic ovaries and I thought I would have more time to lose more weight, but I got pregnant on the very first try. Which I am happy about, but I am so scared. Is anyone else overweight and expecting?

Old 05-20-2005, 08:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User
Re: Overweight And Expecting

I was a little overweight, probably 10 or 15 lbs or so, but I don't thinkyou should worry too much. I mean, like you said, a lot of women alot bigger than you have babies all the time. There was a woman on a tv talk show, and this may or may not be true, that said she was pregnant and she weighted 350! And your problems are not because you eat unhealthy and dont' excerise, which to me would be the major concern I would think, that you weren't eating correctly, which you are. I don't really know anything about those conditions you mentioned. But I don't think being a little overweight can damage the baby!
good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2005, 04:46 AM   #3
(female)

Kimberly HB User

Hi there!

I was 239 lbs when I got pregnant with my son last September. At my highest pregnancy weight, I reached 264.5 lbs. It's not comfortable at all being that heavy but not that bad. I had my beautiful baby boy Monday May 9th. Since then I have already lost 26 lbs. The baby weight has come off quickly for me and I'm back at where I started now and losing weight. This is my second baby, the weight came off quickly after my first pregnancy as well.

Try not to worry, I'm sure everything will be fine. My doctor never once criticized me because of my weight. I always had perfect blood pressure and such though.

Good luck and congratulations!

Old 05-21-2005, 06:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

I am 5' and started my pg at 166, I gained 18 lbs with my dd, and so far 12 with this one. As long as you don't put on too much weight you should be fine. good luck

Old 05-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Tess - please try not to worry about it! You have done such amazing things to lose 40 pounds and take control of your PCOS and thyroid problems. Try to focus on that! You have really, really done GREAT!! All the rest is beside the point! You are pregnant (YEAH!!) Celebrate, be happy, relax.

I'm overweight myself. I'm at 195. I recently lost 50 pounds (I started losing last September). The thing is I'm so happy that I'm not pregnant at 245 pounds! Just like you can be happy and proud that you are not pregnant and 269! My goal is to keep my weight gain between 15-25 pounds. I do not plan on allowing myself to eat whatever I like, nor eat junk. I've upped my calories (so that they are no longer restricted and in "diet mode") by adding lots of fruits, a substantial breakfast and skim milk (and cereal) for a snack. I've backed off my higher intensity workouts, but I'm taking a 30-45 minute walk every day. However, I realize this is all I can do at this point and everything else is out of my control. You will be fine!! Congrats!

Closed Thread