It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
(female)

atousah HB User
Could this harm the baby?

Ok, to some people this might sound like a very stupid question, but I am sorry, I am a real worrier, and since the begining of my pregnancy I have been really scared.
I have been suffering from really bad constipation and have tried prunes and everything, anyways today I put too much strain on myself in the toilet but I had no choice I was suffering really bad, but since then I have been really worried that by pushing so hard I have hurt the baby and put the pregnancy in danger?

Could I have hurt my little one?

Old 05-21-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User
Re: Could this harm the baby?

no you won't hurt the baby, but you can develop hemorroids from straining to hard. try getting some colace and using that, start with 1 pill a day and work up to 2-3, I was just told this by my doc and it is helping ALOT. get regular colace, not the peri one, or maybe it don't matter. It is safe to take daily. good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Celestine HB User

I don't think it hurts the baby either. Mostly it just hurts us. I have problems with that as well. I tried eating prunes, didn't work but prune juice on the other hand worked like a charm. If you haven't tried the prune juice, give it a shot. I had two glasses and an hour later problem solved. I also had to lay off white bread, starchy foods, and *sob* cheese. I was very upset about the cheese, I love cheese.

Old 05-22-2005, 04:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

You won't hurt the baby, but like the other poster said, you can get hemmerhoids by straining so much. My OB suggests Milk of Magnesia and I had to take that a couple times when I was pregnant. It works great and has you back to normal that day or overnight if you take it at night. I feared it would give me diarrhea, but it didn't. I also ate Raisin Bran for breakfast and apples every day to help avoid constipation after the first time was so painful I thought it might be pre-term labor...LOL!

Old 05-22-2005, 09:44 AM   #5

caedmyn HB User

There is a chewable fiber supplement called Fiber Choice. It is orange flavored and tastes pretty good, and you don't have to drink with it (some fiber supplements have to be taken with a lot of water or they say they can cause your throat to swell up or something like that). You can take up to 6 tablets a day, which is 12 grams of fiber. I used to take 2 a day and they worked really well for me. Also, you might try drinking more water. Water is supposed to help with constipation.

Old 05-22-2005, 12:01 PM   #6
(female)

atousah HB User

Thanks for your replies ladies. I hope my straining was OK for the baby, I will definitely give your advices a try.
I have a scan tomorrow and I am really nervous. I should be almost 11 weeks. I don't have any symptoms really and I am really scared.
Thanks again

Closed Thread