So I had a dr's appt today, and she checked me for any dialation or changes since I was having a lot of b.h. contractions. I'm 33 weeks, and I'm finger tip dialated. That isn't what is confusing me. The part that is confusing me is that my dr said that I only have to get through 3 more weeks till I am term, and that's because I have blood pressure problems. I am measuring at 34 and have been measuring a week ahead for about 3 weeks now. So I guess that's why she said only 3 weeks till term since I am measuring a week ahead. So does that really mean the baby is a week ahead, and could be born safely in 3 weeks??? I imagine so since she said it...I'm confused!
A baby is "safe" 2 weeks before the due date since that date is just an estimate. Babys are pretty much safe after 28 weeks, altho the lungs may not be fully developed, they have a very good survival rate!! DONT WORRY! YOULL BE FINE!!
I believe textbook term is 37 weeks (From everything I read anyway)
So when I was 36 weeks I asked my doctor if I were to go into labor at that point would they honestly stop it. She said they prefer 37 but past 36 they really don't.....But that's MY doctor so perhaps your doctor is similar. *Shrugs*
I am 35wks and 3days...I actually went into labor on Saturday, and since I wasn't 37wks they gave me a shot...They said that they will try to stop labor before 37wks if they can...The reason is because of their lungs aren't fully developed...So they consider 37wks full term...That's what they were telling me...
Funny, my lamaze instructor told us 36 weeks was term. She told everyone that you had to be ready from 36 weeks on. But does one week at this point make a BIG difference? I doubt it. But here I thought it was 36 weeks.
I was told 36 weeks as well. I actually had preterm labor with my first (Kierra) I was hospitalized at 32 weeks for a week and given meds to stop the labor and steroids for her lungs in case Kierra decided otherwise. I was told if I went into labor again before 36 weeks that they would stop it...my hospital would even send me to a hospital with a NICU to be safe (which is what they did at 32 weeks) but anything past 36 is considered full term and they don't stop it (at least here they don't) if it happens naturally. Kierra decided to come at 36 weeks and 2 days. She was fine and weighed 6.11, but they had already given me the steroids for her lungs at 32 weeks so that may have helped. Goodluck. I would try avoid too much activity like walking or stairs or cleaning just to be safe. At least until you pass that 3 weeks mark. I was a fingertip dialated at 35 weeks, my water broke at 36 weeks and 1 day. So I just made the deadline. LOL
My little guy tried to come out early at 34 weeks and 6 days, and they gave me the shot, but they still weren't very concerend. A big thing they look at also is weight, at least that is what the peditrician told us yesterday, if they are over 5lbs that is good. They told me after I hit 36 weeks they wouldnt' try at all, even though 37 weeks is actual full term, but they said that 35-36 week babies do just about as well as full term babies, sometimes they are just smaller.