It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2005, 09:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User
c-section vs. vaginal delivery

I have been having a hard time deciding whether or not I want a c-section or vaginal delivery. As of right now I am basically leaning toward a c-section for a number of reasons:
1. I have a heart condition. And I am afraid of something going wrong, even though things have been great the whole pregnancy.
2. I am afraid of having a big baby since everyone in my family has 9 pounders. I did ask the dr about the size of the baby and he thinks it will be about 7 lbs but everyone in my family says they have heard that before.
3. I want him here now. I am not a person that likes surprises nor do I care to wait.
4. It would be easier on my DH with his job and all.
The only reason I would go with a vaginal is because people have been telling me that I will feel better after a vaginal then if I had a c-section. So here is the thing. On Tuesday I have a dr appt and he wants me to have a decision by then. If I say c-section he will schedule one then. BUT, does c-section really hurt more? Is recovery going to take that long? I have to walk up 2 flights of steps to get to our apartment. Is having a c-section going to make this a problem? How much during a c-section does the dr have to touch you in your private areas? Also they say contractions make your uterus go back to size, if I have a c-section is getting back to size going to take longer? With a c-section do you have to work harder to get the weight off? I just have so many questions about all this. It is not easy to just make this decision. I feel funny checking my calendar and saying okay baby you fit into my schedule now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 09:30 AM   #2
(female)

hallieberry03 HB User
Re: c-section vs. vaginal delivery

Well I think C-sections is a lot of work to do...and so is vaganial labor. Perferably i would like to have my baby done vaginally..because it's a natural birth and you don't have to worry about scars...Either way you're gonna have to work off the baby fat that you get...but since you have a heart condition they are most likely gonna recommend you to have a c-section. I don't think the doctor touches your outside private parts, but i know when he cuts for the c-section then he's gonna have to cut the uterus too...once you have a baby from c-section the rest of them have to be that way too....i'm sorry if i didn't answer all the questions but i did my best. If you have anymore please let me know.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
BabyMomma26

I had one vaginal,.one c-section(complications), then the last one vaginal (my choice). Let me tell you...c section is BAD!! I HATED IT!!! worst pain, you cant move, you cant laugh, muscles you never even knew you used, HURT! It is horrible! When you deliver, you can get the epidural, you wont feel the pain, just as you wouldn't with a c-section, but once you deliver and they take the epidural out with a c section, you feel it!! A feeling you would rather not feel! Vaginal, you can walk around and do whatever you want, TRUST me the few hrs of labor are worth it as apposed to the weeks of pain from a c-section !!! GO VAGINAL!!

Last edited by BabyMomma26; 05-25-2005 at 10:35 AM.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

HopingChris HB User

I know nothing about vaginal birth but I can say a lot on c-sections. This July will be my 4th one. And yes going up 2 flights of stairs to get to your home will be hard, but it can be done. It is alot easier after your 1st c-section than your 2nd or 3rd & so on. I have had 3 c-sections already & you can not see the scar it is so light. I had trouble getting back down to my regular size after my 1st but I did it. After my 2nd it was a piece of cake but my 3rd was not so easy. I have to have c-sections it's not a choice for me but I can honestly say if I had the choice I would choose c-section everytime. I believe that if my 1st would have been a vaginal delivery I would not have had 4 kids. My 1st would have been my last. It is completely up to you. I do know some women who have had both & they would choose to have a vaginal birth instead of a c-section. It's all about the person.

Good luck on your decision,my c-section has already been scheduled for July 27th.
Chris(29wks2days)

Old 05-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

I haven't had a C-section, (though I have back problems and begged for one...Doc wouldn't do one but we had a time compromise....) Anyway I went vaginal and recovery wasn't bad at all (even with an episiotomy) ...I seriously had pain meds the day I delievered and the following day (Basically just while I was in the hospital) And I felt fine...when I got home I didn't even need advil...

Last edited by Dakota; 05-25-2005 at 12:01 PM.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

I don't know about vaginal, but I totally recommend the C section. I never had the first contraction, not even brackxton hicks. I got to schedule my C section due to having a low lying placenta. They gave me the option of trying vaginally if I wanted and then they could rush me to the Emergency C section if I started bleeding to much. So I safely chose the C section. I loved it and had a really easy time. I was told by the nurses that I even did better than there vaginal birth mommies. I didn't think it was bad at all. They ask you your pain scale from 0 to 10 (10 being worse pain ever) and I never said over 2, and that was only once, it was usually 1 or 0 and I didn't take the pain medicine to much either, cause I didn't need it and didn't want to pass it to my son in his breastmilk. I don't handle pain well either, but I honestly didn't see were it was that bad, I had heard the horror stories, but had also heard how bad it hurt to sit or go to the bathroom after a vaginal, and I didn't have a problem with either of those. Now you won't want to over do it cause it is surgery, don't plan to climb your stairs all the time, but most people don't take the newborns out much until they are a few weeks old, so you shouldn't have a problem. If there is anything I didn't answer, just ask. I am praying they will let me schedule the C section this time too. Its so nice cause you can plan ahead, cause you know exactly when the baby is coming. Also I didn't have trouble dropping pregancy weight, I was back to prepregnancy weight with in 2 wks. But luckily I only gained 17 lbs with that pregancy, I hope I am that lucky again. Also Dr. didn't touch my private parts at all in Hospital (not in Dr's off either, cause at 36 wks its your choice at my Dr. if they check you vaginally or not) They did check my incision and removed the staples before I left hospital but a nurse removed staples. Goodluck to you in making your decision.
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Last edited by Kaleb's Mom 04; 05-25-2005 at 02:01 PM.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:24 PM   #7
(female)

navysab HB User

Well I had wanted to go vaginal but I never got past 6cm so I had to have a c-section. Now I don't have anything to compare it to since this was my first baby, but my recovery from the c-section was pretty bad for the first week,it hurt to walk around, it hurt to get in and out of bed, after a week I was able to get off the pain meds, and now it has almost been four weeks and I feel fine. If you do go for the c-section my advice would be make sure you have plenty of help with the baby. During my hospital stay my husband had to do all of the feedings, and the only way I could hold her was if he brought her to me since it hurt too much to get out of bed. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
(female)

Kimberly HB User

I had my second baby by c-section just a couple of weeks ago (May 9th). It was a planned, scheduled c-section since I had a very rough vaginal delivery with my daughter in 2002. I was in labour for 20 hours and when I finally did deliver her I tore really bad, requiring a trip to the operating room to get stitches. The doctor said it was the worst tear he saw in 2 years. My daughter weighed 9 lbs, 2 ozs. The recovery from that was horrible, I couldn't walk without horrible pain, couldn't sit on the toilet for more than a few seconds without crying it was a nightmare.

My c-section was a total walk in the park compared to my first delivery. I didn't feel a thing during the entire procedure, I was awake for the whole thing. They kept me in bed the entire day but I was out of bed the next day. It hurt a bit getting up to talk but as long as you take the pain medication they offer you (Tylenol 3 for me) the pain isn't that bad. I could go to the bathroom, sit, hold and feed my son and it was wonderful. A completely better experience than my 1st time around. I'm still recovering at home (3 weeks) but I haven't had any pain medication and I'm doing great.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Closed Thread