It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User
Question Talking to Baby

Is it true that you shoud talk daily to your baby once you are a certain month pregnant because he / she hears? Has anyone done this now or in preivous pregnancies and how far along was you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 10:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User
Re: Talking to Baby

I have talked to mine the whole time! I dont' really say anything specific, sometimes I just narrate what I am doing. And I play him some music sometimes, the Beatles, lol, he likes "Come Together" Ithink the reason is partly so they get more used to your voice, and I think it helps with language develpoment. Although I am not positive about the reasons. I just think it makes him seem more real, does that make sense?
I think it is somewhere between 20-24 when they can start to "hear". What it is is they dont' actually understand the words, they hear the inflection in your voice, like if you heard just the beat of something. They like deep sounds better, which is why I think mine likes come together. although I wonder about the word thing, we were in the dr office and DH asked about circumsion and he kicked me SO hard! I told everyone NOT to say that word anymore, lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2005, 08:45 AM   #3
(female)

RebbieO HB User

I find it hard to talk to my baby unless I do something to affect her, like yesterday when I was trying to plug the iron in to a plug socket which was under a cabinet and ended up lying on my stomach. I then apologised to baby, as it felt a bit uncomfortable to me, so I thought she might feel the same!

I would have thought that your baby gets used to your voice when you are talking to other people, so it doesn't really matter if you talk to him/her or someone else. I do believe that they pick up on your moods, though, so if you are happy singing along to a song, or if they hear the tune to your favourite soap you probably soothe and calm them.

Rebbie
22+6

Last edited by RebbieO; 05-26-2005 at 08:47 AM.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

I talk to my baby everyday. I just basically talk to him at night when he's moving around like crazy, and I tell him that I want to get some sleep now, and maybe he should too...he never listens though...lol. And I tell him I love him, and that's about it. My husband likes to talk to him as well, but when he talks to him, he starts moving like a mad man, either he likes my dh's voice, or it irritates him But I have heard that it's calming for the babies to hear your voice, whether you are just talking to someone else, or talking directly to the baby. I'm 33 weeks, and have been talking to him everyday since I first felt him move around 18 weeks.

Last edited by andilyn; 05-26-2005 at 11:03 AM.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

DH and I talk to our baby mostly at night when we're in bed together. That's usually when our little girl is bouncing around the most. She seems to really love the sounds of our voices as well as our laughter.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:24 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

MissT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andilyn
My husband likes to talk to him as well, but when he talks to him, he starts moving like a mad man, either he likes my dh's voice, or it irritates him
Mine was doing this tonight and our lil boy was going insane, I was wondering if he was enjoying it or if it was irritating too. lol

He was definitely responding.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I am not sure if they like it or not, but they can hear deep voices and intonations better, so that is why they move more during that. I cant' decide it its to make it quit or to make it happen more!

Old 05-27-2005, 10:44 PM   #8
Veteran

PurpleLightning HB User
Talking Re: Talking to Baby

I used to sing twinkle twinkle little star while I was pregnant with my first. After he was born, he really responded to it! Even now at 16 months, if he's real fidgety while I put him to bed, if I sing that song he calms down and goes to sleep! I never thought it would do anything but it really did! I sing to my preggo belly now too and hope she enjoys it like he did.

J.

Due 6/8/05 baby girl
DS 1/20/04

Old 05-27-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
BabyMomma26

Babys can hear at 5 months...I am 4 and I talk to my baby and so does hubby! My kids do too! Babys can hear and also light effects them, they are sensitiveto noise and light

Old 05-28-2005, 12:41 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

When babies are born they can recognise their mother's voice and will be comforted by it. I don't think it really matters whether you talk 'to' the baby or not as he or she will hear your voice when you talk to other people. However, very quickly after birth (I've read within a week) babies will learn to recognise their fathers voice and will respond to it. If the father talks to the baby before it is born there is some suggestion that the baby will learn to recognise his voice even more quickly.

I don't talk to mine very much but I do sometimes as it just helps me feel closer to him or her. DH sometimes puts his mouth really close to my tummy and talks but baby always seems to go quiet when he does this....DH says this is because s/he is stopping to listen to Daddy! LOL!

Old 05-28-2005, 06:54 AM   #11
(female)

ChristyDavis HB User

I was just reading in Great Expectations By Sandy&Marcie Jones on pg 50 ,@ 13wks babies ears have developed enough that he/she may be able to hear you sing, hum, or talk.

Closed Thread