HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/)
-   -   Skin tags and dark line - do they go away? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/288292-skin-tags-dark-line-do-they-go-away.html)

jmcummins3 05-26-2005 05:06 PM

Skin tags and dark line - do they go away?

I am a month post-pardum and was wondering if this ugly dark line down the middle of my abdomen will go away, and if so, when? Also, I got a lot of skin tags all over with this pregnancy and was wondering if they will go away, and when? I don't remember these things happening in my first pregnancy, but that was 10 years ago.

siren1024 05-26-2005 05:52 PM

Re: Skin tags and dark line - do they go away?

Skin tags: nope.... sorry I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I'm living proof. I've had a couple of the worst ones frozen right off.

Linea negra: Yes, but mine wasn't gone completely til about 6 months post partum with my DS. My OB at the time told me that usually they were gone in 6 months. Some lasted longer, some fade considerably but don't go completely away. I still have mine from my DD and it's been 2 months now. It's not as noticeable as the one with my DS, and it didn't appear til 33 weeks when the one with my DS appeared around 20 weeks. Weird, huh? I thought your body would generally do the same thing with each PG. Apparently not!

PurpleLightning 05-26-2005 10:52 PM

My experience was the line did disappear after quite a few months - maybe 6. This pregnancy though, I have no line and I'm already 38 weeks. Guess every pregnancy is different!!
Good luck!
J.

Due 6/8/05 baby girl
DS 1/20/04

tigger_girl76 05-27-2005 01:40 AM

I've read online that your doctor can freeze the skin tags and they'll just fall off themselves after that. A home remedy I've heard about is to put tea tree oil onto them and they'll gradually go away. That treatment takes a lot longer though. I'd just have the doc freeze them.

jmcummins3 05-27-2005 04:09 AM

Does it hurt to have the skin tags frozen off? I have so many of them and they're so ugly. I don't think I'll ever wear a bikini again if they don't go away. :(

tigger_girl76 05-27-2005 05:06 AM

I imagine it probably burns just a bit a first. A friend of mine had to have a wart frozen off of her hand. The area around the wart was a bit swollen at first and she said it burned a bit but was worth it. The wart fell off quite quickly. Having skin tags frozen off probably wouldn't hurt that much at all and it would be worth it just to wear a bikini again. :)

Whatever you do don't let anybody talk you into clipping them off with nail clippers! I've read about people doing that and it almost guarantees an infection. :eek:

Take care and ask your doc/nurse about freezing the tags off. It's probably your best bet.

Nicole x

jmcummins3 05-27-2005 06:05 AM

Where can I get tea tree oil? I have too many of them to freeze off, but I have a few big ones I probably will have to do that way. I like the idea of trying the tea tree oil, but have no idea where to buy it.

tigger_girl76 05-27-2005 09:35 AM

Most pharmacies will sell pure tea tree oil. DH uses it sometimes when he gets razor burn from shaving. It smells really strong but it's a nice smell. I know that the Body Shop also sells tea tree oil products but I don't think they sell the pure stuff...you may have to look into that. I would get the big ones frozen off and use tea tree oil on the smaller ones since the tea tree treatment may take a bit longer to work.

Nicole x

HopingChris 05-27-2005 10:37 AM

I don't want to sound stupid but what are skin tags? This is my 4th pregnancy & I have never even heard of them.

Chris(29wks4days)

jmcummins3 05-27-2005 04:50 PM

They are dark spots like moles, but they are raised "bump-like" spots. Some of them also look like little bits of extra skin hanging, but they bleed when you try to pick them off. They are really ugly and I have them all over my abdomen and breasts. I didn't have them with my first pregnancy, but more than made up for it this time around.