It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
(female)

Rafael02 HB User
Indigestion and Belching....Normal?

Hi, I am 9 weeks along and this will be my first baby (prev. miscarriage 2004). For the past few days I have been having some indigestion issues. The only way I can describe it is that after eating I feel like I am belching it up all the next day and I get a really unsettling heartburn-like feeling. I thought these kinds of problems didn't present themselves till later on but I could be wrong about that. After all, like I said, this will be my first. Any response would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lynaa

Old 05-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User
Re: Indigestion and Belching....Normal?

I'm in Week 25, and I've never had heartburn, but I can tell you that digestion in general gets completely screwed up...mine started messing up around week 8:
terrible gas and gas pains
constipation
bloating (one of the reasons I was in maternity pants so early...the bloated belly.)

It's still screwed up, but actually much better than it was early on. The reason is because I'm eating a lot better...lots more fruit & vegetables in my diet. While my m/s was in full force, I would gag over anything good for me, including getting water in my mouth. The only foods that I could eat without gagging were grease-laden foods.

Now I'm more back to normal and those problems have been relieved tremendously. I can say that my digestion is still kind of in slow motion, though.
Gayle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

My best friend had terrible indigestion and heartburn all through her pregnancy and it started very early on. Nothing really helped her but she did tell me that cheese made it A LOT worse.

Gayle is right about getting a lot of fruit and veg. They're your best friends during pregnancy. They'll keep your digestive system is good working order and help with constipation (a common pregnancy complaint).

Take care.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

That's right Tigger_girl76. I wish someone would have told me about the importance of fruit & vegetables early on solely for the purposes of being able to go to the bathroom properly...forget all the nutrients & good stuff for the baby. If I would have known just how much fruits & vegetables helped constipation, I would have forced them down my throat between gags and heaves.

Because I was gagging on good food, I took the attitude that if I get plenty of fluids, that will keep constipation in check. I was sooooo wrong. Seriously, after my m/s eased up, and I started eating better foods, I started having normal bowel movements every day. I was having difficult BM's about every 3rd or 4th day without eating fruits & veggies. I couldn't believe how much better it became overnight!
Gayle

Old 05-27-2005, 11:01 AM   #5
(female)

Rafael02 HB User

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. Something I forgot to mention in my original post was that I'm also having some major constipation problems and it made me think of it when someone mentioned it. I don't understand the reason for the constipation though....I will take your advice and try to start eating better....my eating habits are TERRIBLE!!!No breakfast, greasy lunch, and kind of 'graze' for dinner...I know, it's awful...I need to start incorporating more fruits and veggies into my diet and if the constipation persists I think I need to start taking Metamucil or something...It seems like I feel that pressure like I HAVE to go to the bathroom RIGHT NOW but when I actually go I strain and strain and sorry to be graphic but hardly nothing comes out, just a few, um, nuggets?Anyway, It seems like I'll be impacted for a few days like that then all the sudden it all comes at once and it is quite painful.....Arghhh?!Is this what I have to look forward to for the next 7 months?(By the way, I am on prenatal vitamins along with prometrium, I'm assuming for the previous miscarriage and the fact I was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago for some cysts on my ovaries...They are still calling my pregnancy a 'threatened miscarriage' even though the baby's fine with strong heartbeat)

Old 05-27-2005, 02:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Rafael, your bathroom episodes sound just like what I went through. Just remember, if you eat better, you will be amazed at how much easier it is to go to the bathroom, and on a regular basis. Give it a couple days to do it's magic!
Gayle

Old 05-31-2005, 07:05 AM   #7
(female)

Rafael02 HB User

Thanks Gayle!
This weekend I went to the grocery store and stocked up on tons of fresh fruits and veggies...Gee, it seemed like that section of the store was almost foreign to me but I did find alot of things that I actually like and felt bad about 'missing out' on for so long....I'm going to incorporate these foods into my daily diet if it kills me!lol!The constipation and indigestion is still continuing but hopefully with altering my diet some I can make a difference...
Lynaa

Old 05-31-2005, 08:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I didnt' have any heartburn or indegestion at all until about 32 weeks, I thought I was gonna be so lucky, lol.
The reason you get constipated during pregnancy has something to do with the steroids your body creates. I cant' explain it well, it's the reason women with things like UC (what I have) and IBS and stuff like that usually go into remission while pregnant. Fresh fruits and veggies will help alot. Drinking helps too.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

Rafel it could be Acid Reflux. I would mention to you dr. (especially if you are overweight, or have had any signs of acid reflux in the past). I didn't have a problem with it until my 2nd trimester with my first pregnancy. But it has hit me hard this time and I am having trouble with it no matter what I eat. I am 8 wks tomorrow, so I plan to mention it to my Dr. at the next appt. Hope the fresh fruits and veggies have helped you.
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Old 06-02-2005, 01:13 PM   #10
(female)

Rafael02 HB User

Thanks for the guidance everyone...In response to Kaleb's Mom. Yes, I am overweight. As a matter of fact, I was in the process of getting approved for gastric bypass when I found out I was pregnant. But that's a totally different story.A few years ago I was being treated for acid reflux disease but I was steadily getting worse. Turns out I was misdiagnosed and my real problem was my gallbladder. Once I had it out everything was fine but lately since I've been pregnant, it feels like that same kind of burpy,burning feeling has come back. I'm not really taking anything for it right now but if it gets any worse, which I'm sure it will, I will definitely start taking something on a regular basis.....

Closed Thread