It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 06:49 AM   #1
(female)

LYNN9731 HB User
Cord Blood Banking

Is anyone considering cord blood stem cell banking? My doctor needs to know
by my next appointment (wk. 36). It sounds like a lot of money at first but
when I think about all the luxuries in life we spend money on it's really not
that much and it could save my sons life if needed someday. What are your
thoughts?

Lynn

Old 05-28-2005, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User
Re: Cord Blood Banking

What exactly is cord blood stem cell banking? I've heard it mentioned but I don't really know what it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
BabyMomma26

I know I cant do that b/c I have Group Strep B...common in alot of pregnant women, and the blood is BAD for the baby. I dont have that option

Old 05-28-2005, 07:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

I'm a firm believer the the baby NEEDS that blood at birth. The cord should remain attached and unclamped utill the 1/2 cup or so of blood drain back into your baby. I does cause a higher chance of jaundice, but jaundice is not harmful in a healthy baby. And look at how many babies end up anemic and in NICU. That is your babys blood, why would you take it away from them?

Just my opinion of course, just thought I'd throw that in.

Old 05-28-2005, 08:04 AM   #5

caedmyn HB User

I agree with worried_mommy. The baby needs that blood when it's born. Who knows if some of the diseases that banked cord blood might be helpful against (like leukemia) would have been prevented in the first place if the baby had gotten the extra blood at birth.

Old 05-28-2005, 09:16 AM   #6
(female)

LYNN9731 HB User

Thank you for your replys. I've never read anything about the baby needing that
blood nor was I told this by any of my doctors. Something else to research. This
board has been very helpful throughout my pregnancy. Thanks - Lynn

Old 05-28-2005, 12:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

We aren't doing it. It's been a couple months since we read into it so I forget lots of the terminology & stats...but...It all sounds really good, and I don't see it as a bad thing, but we learned that the research just isn't truly sound enough yet for us to spend the $$. The science is still so new.

We also learned that the doctors/scientists/whomever haven't really figured out for sure a foolproof way to bring the cells back (I forget the correct words) so they are alive & useful if they are needed. If the docs/scientists screw it up when you need the cells, you've lost all your sample plus all your money you invested into it.

Also, we read that somewhere, donor banks are being started...so it would work like if you need a new kidney...you can get a donor.

Those were the main reasons we aren't doing it.
Gayle

Old 05-29-2005, 07:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Lynn, most Drs. will not tell you about this, because it is most hospitals proceedure to clamp and cut the cord immeditietly after it stops pulsing, usually when the baby takes it first breath. Though most midwives allow the blood to drain back into your baby. When I asked my Dr about it, she said she would leave the cord intact as long as I wished, but made me sign a wavier. Unfortunitly, due to complications, the cord was cut imm*****ly, depriving my DD of her own blood. I did have a discussion with my Dr after this, explaining even though there were complications, there was no reason to cut the cord. I do know she only did what she thought was best at the time, and I was in and out of consiousness, so I don't blame her for it. If I was to do it all over again (barring complications) I would not be in a hospital, they are way too cut happy. They cut me (epsiotimy 4th degree) they cut DD on her forhead right above her eye while cutting me, then they cut her cord.

Make sure you do all your research and tell you Dr exactly what you want. Remember this is YOUR baby's birth and YOUR body. You have control over it, don't let the Dr or hospital staff make you feel otherwise

Old 05-29-2005, 07:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

We are doing it, I cannot see any reason at all not to! Sure it costs a little, but my goodness this is somethign you can do to save your babies life! Or your life, or you parents life, or your husbands life. We did ALOT of research on it, DH is a nurse and he talked to tons of drs, and all of them are doing it. The thing about the blood is that the baby starts to use it's own blood as soon as it comes out. It won't matter. Also they dont' have to cut it immeditely to use it. However if you are going to do it, you need to know as soon as possible, because if you do not have your kit you cannot do it. We have had our kit for months now, and DH has it in his locker at work, that is where I will deliver. I had been bugging him for months to take it to work and he said there was no need to. Well he finally took it, adn the next night I went into early labor, lol.
Anyway, do alot of research into the companies, I suppose i can say, we chose CBR, they seemed to be the most stable. The FDA does not regulate this, so do not be fooled by a place claiming to be the only ones approved by the FDA. Things to look for are where the blood is stored, you want it in a place where natural disasters are less likely to happen. For instance you wouldnt want it in Fla because of hurricanes, not in NY because of frequent power outages due to snow storms. ALthough they of course have back up power. Ours will be stored in Arizona. If we go to get the blood out and it is not viable due to somethign they did, we will recive a full refund, same as if they do have something happen to the plant that is important.
Also look for how long the company has been in business, their finacial stabilty, if the, I think it is the American Blood Banking Association (it will say on the page) if the company is accredited by them. And by New York and New Jersey. Intially it is expensive, I think ours will be 1400 orignally, and then 95 a year, that's pretty much nothing. A whole lot less than it would cost in medical bills for lukemia. Anyway, since it is somethign available that could potentially save my childs life, I do not see how I could live with myself if I did not do it. If you really really cannot scrape together the money, you can donate it to a public place, like you donate blood, but there is no guarantee it will be available.

Closed Thread