It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
(female)

emilyallison HB User
Hair Dye, HELP!!!!!

Ok, so I read all the mags that say your hair takes color differently when pregnant, but didnt think my hair would change this much! I asked my Dr about hair dye and she said it was fine, as long as its not put on my scalp and use foils. So i had foils and was trying to go back to my natural color (brown) from blonde. I ended up with purplish black hair!!! We tried to fix it so now its just black. I normally wouldnt care but my high school reunion is next week and of course I want to look good! Do you think its ok to go get it done again to lighten it? I dont want to hurt the baby, but it really looks awful and would love to do it over! Or does anyone have any ideas how to get the dye out quicker and safer for my baby??
Help!!!!!

Old 05-28-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
(female)

syn HB User
Re: Hair Dye, HELP!!!!!

I would recommend that you stop dying your hair all together.. they are doing studies with hair dye and pregnancy.. how far along are you right now? Unless you are almost done with your pregnancy I dont know why your doc would say its ok to dye your hair anyways.. My doc with my son was against it the entire pregnancy.. SO In my opinion i would just deal with the hair you have now to be on the safe side for your baby.. oh and there isnt a way to get your hair color back to normal unless you strip it and you cant use foils for that.. so it would go directly onto your scalp

Last edited by syn; 05-28-2005 at 01:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2005, 03:15 PM   #3
(female)

emilyallison HB User

Actually, after my Dr said it was ok, I did some research and found out that because your hair is already dead (dead skin cells) nothing you put on it gets into your blood stream (which would then go to your placenta and affect the baby). Only if you put anything directly onto your scalp or skin, then does it go into your blood stream. So it is perfectly safe to color your hair as long as its not on the scalp or roots and you are in a well-ventilated area. Most doctors will tell you that, its usually the old school drs that tell you not to.

Old 05-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I would get my hair fixed. My doc said foils are just fine & no risk to myself or the baby.
Gayle

Old 05-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
(female)

syn HB User

Im sure that was the case, he was old lol.. but the stripping is the only option I think to fix it tho

Old 05-29-2005, 12:29 AM   #6
(female)

atousah HB User

When I was preg with my daughter I started dying my hair every 6 weeks and that wasn't with foils it was from the roots. I used the herbal hair colours that do not have any ammonia. I have dark brown hair with white roots now if I didn't colour my hair I would have ended up looking like a witch. With this pregnancy I have been really concerned and worried, and to sort out the roots I used henna from body shop, but the hair has gone orange. Now I have orange hair with brown and white roots, now that needs sorting out.
Good luck whatever your decision.

Old 05-29-2005, 09:10 AM   #7
(female)

sunnydayz05 HB User

sounds like quite a situation...black is hard to get out without touching the scalp....so is it all that purple color? or just parts? if it is mostly dark you can pull it through the cap heavily and then do corrective color on that. the cap is keeping it off the scalp and will allow you to get it the right color. your gonna have to have it bleached a few times and then toned to look decent. but the finished product will leave you with just a little bit of the ugly darker tones. just an idea

Old 05-29-2005, 04:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

My doctor said that the studies have proven that you would have to leave the dye on your scalp for more than 24 hours for it to possibly cause a problem in the pregnancy, and even then, there is no strong direct link anyway. Most doctors recommend waiting until after the first trimester anyway. Coloing your hair during pregnancy can do strange things to your hair, as you've discovered. My stylist used semi-permanent color (Shades) on my hair during my pregnancy. It doesn't have the chemicals of permament color and is basically like putting shampoo on your hair. It lightens a little over time but it doesn't wash out like the ones you buy at the pharmacy and do yourself. I would go back and get the color stripped out and then put semi-permanent on in a shade close to your natural color. Good luck!

Closed Thread