It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
(female)

JoJo's Girl HB User
Where does all the weight go?

Hi. OK, it will be obvious from my question that I have never been pg before (and am not yet, but TTC soon), but I figured someone here would be able to help answer this question.

So, as you are gaining weight throughout the pregnancy, do you feel like you are carrying most, if not all, of it in the front or does it feel more evenly distributed? I ask because I was in a fitness store the other day and picked up a 4 pound weight ball, then a 6 pound ball and thought "geez, this feels really heavy." I figured if that's what 6 pounds felt like, which would equate to around the 4th month of pregnancy, what would it feel like when you've gained 10, 15 20 pounds, etc? I'm a small, thin person, so I wondered how well I would be able to carry the weight.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Old 05-29-2005, 09:29 AM   #2
(female)

sunnydayz05 HB User
Re: Where does all the weight go?

i'm having a boy...and they say with boys it's mostly all in the belly..and with girls it's everywhere...but with me it's a little everywhere. i've only gained 28 lbs so far ( 9 days to go) but i'm noticing stretch marks everywhere...i mean EVERYWHERE...so i guess i'm growinig all those places too. to answer you question most of it is in your boobs (they get heavy) and in your stomach...the fluid and such weighs alot. your face gets rounder too...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

It depends, I am carrying mainly in front and in my breasts! My legs and arms and face actually got smaller. At first I had alot in my butt, but even it has gotten smaller now. But you see some women who just get round all over. One of the ladies in the dr office the other day, I had seen her before and she was rather slim, was just as round as she could be, all over! It was actually pretty cute, lol. They do say that boys are out front and just in the belly, might be true I am having a boy and my friend both times she had boys carried the same way. But then my Mom carried my sis like that.
What I am curious about is where does it go after? Not like the fat you gain, but the weight you gained from the baby and the fluid, does your tummy just go back, or does it hang all loose?

Last edited by cattieos; 05-29-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:08 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User

Good question! I am now 24 weeks and having a girl and I seem to be carrying in the front mostly. So far I have gained about 15-17lbs but I was underweight before so this is good for me and the baby. My chest is huge and my belly popped out about two days ago.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

InDueTime05 HB User

I was very thin before I got pregnant. I've noticed it more in my belly then anywhere else. Well, my boobs are huge too though. My hips are out right now but my massage therapist says they'll go back in. I've gained 30lbs but like I said I was underweight before. It was the same with my DS too. I was way under weight with him and gained 50lbs and I was back to a size 3/4 within two months. After you leave the hospital you look about 5 months pregnant I've heard. With my DS I looked about 3 months. I know I'm bigger this time in my stomach. I just hope I can loose it all again. I feel huge! ONE MORE WEEK! Your stomach only goes back if you work on it or so I"ve heard. I was lucky and didn't have to work out totally but I know some of my gfs have had a hard time getting their stomach back.
Brandon James 5/11/99 @ 4:48pm
Jade Elizabeth 6/7/05 @ 7:41pm

Old 05-31-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
(female)

JoJo's Girl HB User

Thank you all so much for sharing! InDueTime, you said you've already gained 30 pounds--does it feel like 30 pounds? I mean, I can't even lift 30 pounds (heck, I can't even get the lid off a jar of salsa without asking for help!), so I'm wondering how it would feel on your body. Thanks again and congratulations and good luck to all

Old 05-31-2005, 07:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I have gained 28lbs, and yes it feels like it! My bones hurt the other day, Ihad been standing most of hte day, and I told my Mom that my bones hurt, and she said, where and I said all below the baby, and she said what does it feel like, I said, sort of like I am carrying around 30 extra lbs!
It doesnt' feel like you are lifting 30 lbs, but since my chest got so big, and I am carrying in front, my back feels like it would if you carried that around for a while

Old 06-01-2005, 11:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

I was a bit over weight to begin with but I only gained 17lbs with my first pregnancy and I know nearing the end of pregnancy you feel huge. I think as you are larger that with alot of standing and walking you can feel a bit strained under your belly area, from the front being larger with no support. I didn't have a huge problem with this, but I also have a desk job. But I don't really remember feeling front heavy or anything. You will gain in your uterous, your boobs, some of the weight is in the placenta and amniotic fluid and of course the baby! So most of it stays with in your mid section, and as the baby grows it runs out of room and starts protruding. With you being small already, it may feel differently. Baby dust to you.
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Last edited by Kaleb's Mom 04; 06-01-2005 at 11:37 AM.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:39 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User

Sorry below is my post

Last edited by sumi; 06-01-2005 at 11:46 AM.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:46 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User

Also, every pregnancy is very different. Personally I was underweight when I got pregnant and didn't show till I was five months. Some people show early and some later. I also tend to think that although diet and nutrition play a big part it's all about a person's metabolism and body structure. Most of the time the most weight is around the mid-section but you will notice that your fingers swell and your feet may change size, your back hurts sometimes and you may develop spider veins in your legs from the added weight.
You just never know how your body will act and how or where you gain the weight. Nature will take it's course. Don't worry, your body will find a way to grow a little baby! Good Luck.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #11
(female)

Cleo023 HB User

This I'm sure is a silly question but please bare with me. Does it feel like you're gaining from the inside out...like having something push out instead of just having weight on top of your body so to speak?

Old 06-04-2005, 07:50 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

hmm, that is a hard question to answer. When I was first gaining it I didnt' even really feel like I was, cause it was really gradual. But lately, it feels more like it is pushing me down. Especially from the top of my belly, right under my breasts. It kind of feels like there is a brick laying on top of my stomach, it's VERY round now, lol, and I could balance a brick on top of it probably. I guess sometimes, when the baby pushes out it feels like it is coming from inside.

Old 06-05-2005, 08:20 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

So far I've gained around 22 pounds and you do feel the extra weight, but you take the strain all over your body and start to feel physically tired much more quickly. Personally I feel it worst in my feet, they really ache if I've been standing up for any length of time. Also my bump is starting to stick out a way now (I'm 33 weeks) and I do sometimes feel it in my lower back.

As to how the weight gain is made up, a leaflet I was given at the doctors broke it down as follows:

Baby: 39%
Uterus: 11%
Placenta: 9%
Breasts: 8%
Amniotic fluid: 11%
Increase in blood volume: 22%

Most of the weight is inside your body, in line with your centre of gravity so it's not like you feel like you're carrying 20 - 30 pounds strapped to the front of your stomach!

Spanish

Closed Thread