It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 02:41 AM   #1
(female)

dd annie HB User
Can you take prenatal vitamins even though you're not pregnant?

Can you take prenatal vitamins even though you're not pregnant? I was wondering if it is okay to take the prenatal vitamin when you are not pregnant. I want my hair and nails to grow faster and more healthy and I have heard that prenatal vitamins can help.

Old 05-30-2005, 04:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: Can you take prenatal vitamins even though you're not pregnant?

Yes. It is actually recommended that women of child-bearing age take pre-natals so they have enough folic acid in their body *if* they do become pregnant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 04:51 AM   #3

Thando HB User

I'm on pre-natals, as well as extra folic acid, but I'm TTC. The receptionist at my Drs. also uses it (she's not PG), as well as her dad.
T

Old 05-30-2005, 05:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I've experimented with, and been taking various combinations of vitamin supplements for about 8 years now. It came down to relying heavily on prescription meds daily for some pretty serious allergies or take vitamins. I've chosen the vitamins because they work.

I can honestly say that taking pre-natals instead of my regular routine has slowed down the growth rate of my hair and nails from what I've been used to.

Prenatals are formulated for women's reproductive organs and lacatation. Most people say they help with hair & nails because most people didn't supplment much prior to pregnancy.

If you don't take vitamins now, you'll probably notice a change for the better. I personally feel there are much better choices out there for hair & nails. Just do a little research on what's available.
Gayle

Old 05-30-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I have heard that it's not the prenatal vitamins, but the pregnancy hormones that cause your hair and nails to grow more and be healthier. Either way, it doesn't hurt to take the vitamins, even if you're not pregnant.

Closed Thread