It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

JLMandPaul HB User
Question Swimming and Pregnancy

Im almost 6 mos along, and was wondering, at what point is it not ok to go swimming? (beach, pool, lake), My mother-in-law told me that swimming while further along in pregnancy is dangerous (could be another wives tale for all I know) anyone know the answer to this one before she drives me nuts? lol

Old 05-30-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Celestine HB User
Re: Swimming and Pregnancy

I have edema in my legs most of the time from working so I can't benefit from alot of standing, walking excersize. I told my doctor I was going to go swimming, (I'm 6 mon. too) and she said that's just fine. Good for me even. All she warned was not to get carried away. No diving in and doing laps or anything. Just casual swimming is perfectly fine. I love it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

I don't think there's any time when you can't go swimming. It's wonderful exercise and takes the weight off your joints. I'm 32 weeks now and apart from walking it's about the only exercise I can still comfortably manage. I swim a mile whenever I go but I do take it quite steady so that I don't get too out of breath. As far as I know you can swim right up to the point of giving birth. If there was a problem with being in water we wouldn't be able to take baths or use birthing pools right? Personally I'd stick to clean water (like swimming pools) rather than the sea or lakes as it is possible to pick up nasty infections by swimming in dirty water. I'm sure the mucus plug would stop any infection actually getting directly to your womb but if you swallow dirty water and get really sick that's not going to help your baby.

Spanish

Last edited by Spanish; 05-30-2005 at 01:19 PM.

Old 05-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I think you can go anytime you want. Like they said, don't be diving or swimming laps or anything though, although I doubt you feel like doing either, lol. I would stick to pools too, preferably a private one if you can, or at least when there aren't alot people in there, you know what kids do in the pool sometimes! That's just a rule I stick to generally though.

Old 05-31-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
Veteran

Jessthemess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMandPaul
Im almost 6 mos along, and was wondering, at what point is it not ok to go swimming? (beach, pool, lake), My mother-in-law told me that swimming while further along in pregnancy is dangerous (could be another wives tale for all I know) anyone know the answer to this one before she drives me nuts? lol
Until it's uncomfortable I suppose! I swim all the time(I'm 5 1/2 months) and doc says it's fine. Have fun.

Closed Thread