It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
(female)

Di12779 HB User
Question 36 weeks with questions! :)

Hi ladies!

I just had a few questions for those of you who have been here before. This is my first pregnancy and I don't know what to expect in these last few weeks. I was told the baby has dropped as of last week, I have had fairly consistant cramping in the lower abdomen for the past 3 days now, I am assuming that is just because the baby is lower? I have no idea what contractions feel like or how I will know when I am having them. I have had a rough and painful pregnancy so I have been there and back again with the wide range of pains, from dull to sharp, high to low etc...I don't know if I am going to recognize a contraction when I do have one. All pains seem normal to me! My mother tells me that some of the pains I have been feeling for the past couple of weeks are contractions...who knows! She jokes that I won't even know it when I go into labor, I am afraid she could be right!

I have to pack a bag for the hospital, what exactly should I pack...am I to far away from my due date to pack a bag? I know I need night gowns, a hair tie, a baby outfit, etc... but what about shampoo, pads, breast pads etc? do you bring all that too?

I was also told that most first time moms hold off until their due date or are over due....is this true?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shelliam HB User
Re: 36 weeks with questions! :)

You should definitly pack your bag and just check it before you go you'll never know when you'll need it in a pinch. you need shampoo deodorant conditioner and anything else you'll need to shower. If you think you may be in labor you can call your dr and they can moniter you or if their closed L&D. I think you will probably know when you go into labor though early labor can be questionable. Good Luck!! hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

With most contractions, at least with the real ones, you should feel them at regular intrevals, each one lasting however many seconds, then it should let up. But again, not everyone will have that happen. Another thing to look for with contractions to help recognize them would be cramping in your back and lower abdomen, which you said you have, which probably means the baby is just dropping even lower, putting a lot of pressure down there. But I really do think you'll be able to know when it's the real thing, it just feels different enough to were you start suspecting that this is it. As far as the hospital bag, I would certainly pack it now, you just never know! I'm 34 weeks, and am thinking I need to get mine packed soon as well. The hospital does provide pads, however, they are huge. With my first, I wore one of their's the first day, then I switched to one of my own the rest of the time. So maybe bring your own. And bring clothes, like night gowns, that you won't mind if they get stained. I would also recommend socks, and all of your own toiletries, just to make you feel more at home. And maybe bring some things to keep you occupied during early labor, and then after the baby is born. Like magazines, or crossowrd puzzles, or cards, or whatever you're into. And a lot of women do go over with their firsts, however, I was 3 weeks early with my first. So who knows! Just get everything around now, and then you'll be ready whenever it does happen! Good luck and I hope this helped!

Old 05-31-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I have had my bag packed for a while, but then I am overly worried, lol. The hospital probably will have soap and stuff, but usually it doesnt' really smell that good. So, you need your toiletiries. I packed socks I don't like, and the maternity undies I had bought, they are so ugly, I figured I could just throw them away if they got ruined. then I went Kohl's and got some men's boxers for about three dollars each, figured they could get ruined too, and some plain white t-shirts, like DH wears, they are cheap, and figured if they got ruined i would throw them away, if not DH could wear them
I also packed some bottles for the baby, some pads, a little outfit for them to take his pic in (some hosptials won't let you put them in your clothes) and an outfit to take him home in. I wear contacts, so I packed my glasses also, I don;t know if they will let me wear my contacts or not. We have a fridge in the room, so I am goign to take some bottled drinks (LOTS of cherry coke for after!) and some bottled water, it's so expensive to buy it out of the machines.
As for the contractions, I am afraid I won't know either! I did have some preterm labor, and I didnt' feel athing, I just went to the hospital because I had a fever, and something just felt off. Then last week I thought I was having contractions, called and described it, they said sounds like it, I went and I wasn't!
Good luck!

Last edited by cattieos; 05-31-2005 at 09:27 PM.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:01 AM   #5
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

I would pack your bag yes. I would also pack the shampoo ect. I dont think they provide those things anymore. They did with my first 2 kids but my last two which were recent did not. I wouod bring a tooth brush,hairbrush,shampoo. They will have pads for you though so dont worry about those and diapers,wipes for the bnaby they will provide also. bring 1 or 2 outfits for yourself as well. Something comfortable to wear. I brought a few pair of my old underwear too I was more comfy in my own real underwewar.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:45 AM   #6
(female)

Di12779 HB User

Thanks so much for all the advice! I will pack my bag this week just to be on the safe side, and while everything is fresh in my head! This is getting rather exciting I went to the doctor yesterday and he said my cervex was still posterier (sp) now I know that in some way, shape, or form means I am not ready to go but I can't say I fully understand what it means! I also got yelled at for gaining 3 lbs in 2 weeks even though I have only gained 10 lbs total (I think if he weighed me with my shoes off the pound would have been gone, I usually go without shoes but I forgot my socks yesterday!). Oh well! Thanks again everyone, for responding my my questions! It's so nice to know that you have someone to ask these silly questions to, especially when you don't feel they are doctor worthy questions!

Old 06-01-2005, 11:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

JodyC HB User

I would also pack a calling card since most hospitals wont let you use cell phones. And, some change for the vending machine for DH.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Another thing you may want to pack, is some hand soap in a pump bottle. Lots of times the soap at the hospital smells really bad, and it has alchol in it so it dries your hands out badly.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
(female)

Di12779 HB User

Great ideas!!! Keep em coming!

Old 06-02-2005, 03:20 PM   #10
(female)

cfmommy HB User

Pack your bag -- I went into labor the end of my 36 weeks.

I packed some comfy yoga/sweatpants, some t-shirts and a big comfy sweatshirt. Didn't want to wear maternity clothes anymore, but still retained a LOT of water, so I didn't want anything constricting -- so slip on shoes 'cuz socks were a pain.

Magazines. You might be too wound up to sleep/rest after your baby is born and hospital television is usually limited (boring). Something mindless to help you relax. Camera and maybe a notepad & pen to write down who came to visit and what they brought you -- heck, thank you notes so you can get it over and done with and just mail out once you go home.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Her saying that about TV reminded me, some hospitals have VCRs or DVD players (the one I am going to has both) so maybe find out and take some movies. DH says he is taking all his movies. Some also offer internet access, so if you have a laptop you could take it also.

Old 06-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #12
(female)

Di12779 HB User

Great ideas with the thank you notes! I will have to do that! I can't wait to have this little guy, I am now 75% effaced, I went from 0to 75 in a week, that seems fast to me but I don't mind. I just want to start dialating so I can have this little guy early!

Old 06-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #13
(female)

pootie231 HB User

I packed my bag the other day-I'm due Sat. Don't forget your camera, batteries, film whatever kind you have. It would suck to try and capture those first few moments and find you have dead batteries or no memory card. Also, if you are planning to breastfeed I would bring a nursing bra as well as nursing shirts or nighties as it is much more discreet breastfeeding while having visitors with those rather than having to pull up your shirt and take off your bra! Bringing something like cards or crosswords etc. may also be a good idea if your labor is long. After I got my epidural, I had no pain for a good 3 hours or so and was too excited to sleep so I had to send my DH out to get me something to do. As for contractions, your stomach will probably bunch up and get really hard. They may be painful or not if they are false but should get increasingly painful if they are real. Real contractions do not generally subside with time, change of position or drinking water(you can get contractions from dehydration). They should also become regular or increasingly closer where braxton hicks will not. As always there are exceptions to every rule, so if you think it's the real thing....go to the hospital.

True story-a co worker of mine was pregnant with her first baby. Was having what she thought were contractions all day. She phoned the hospital 4 times and described the pains. They told her if it was real labor she would not be able to talk through the contractions. Since she lives about 35mins away from the hospital and knew that there was no way what she was feeling was normal she went to the hospital anyway. They again were tellling her she wasn't in labor-it was 3 weeks until her due date and like someone else said, first timers tend to go over. She begged them to check her and she was 6cm and delivered 2 hrs later. They couldn't give her any drugs as she was too far along. Moral of the story.....trust your instincts and your body-I'm sure you would much rather feel foolish being sent home due to false labor than end up having your baby in your livingroom

Old 06-07-2005, 07:11 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I asked the nurse how many often they had women come in thinking they were in labor, and did that happen alot. And she said, yes it does, but it was the ones who didnt' come in that upset her. She said we would much rather you come in on a false alarm, 10 times if you need too, then have the baby at home and something happen. So like Pootie said, trust yourself.
I told DH you can laugh at me if you want but if I think I am in labor we are going!

Old 06-08-2005, 06:57 PM   #15
(female)

ambrya_nell HB User

Hi
i am 37 weeks and was in the hospital yesterday.. thought i was having kidney problems... turned out to be contractions.. didn't know i was having them (back labor) because i have been in pain (round ligament pain) for so long... and i asked the nurse the same questions... she said if the pain comes and goes in waves and gets to the point where it's hard to talk or breathe through.. go to the hospital.. or if water breaks/leaks..... i've been having steady contractions since 8a.m. yesterday.... but not too painful.. so i just have to wait it out... I was worried i wouldn't know when i went in to active labor and everyone says you'll definitely know.....
I'm just packing anything i think of.. better to have it if you don't need it then to not have it if you do.. cause you never know how long you could be in there.. better to be prepared.... so if you think you might need it.. pack it..
good luck and i hope things progress soon for you

Closed Thread