It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

Jellyjam HB User
1st Ultrasound- small foetal size, OK? Should I worry?

I had my first ultrasound today, after a worrisome start to my first pregnancy…
There has been a lot of spotting, some clots early on, and I even had what I thought was my period about 2 weeks after conception (not implantation bleeding-it went on for 6 days.)

According to my dates, I should be about 8 weeks along (6 from conception). I saw a heartbeat today, but the ultrasound technician told me that the foetus was too small to be 8 weeks – only 1 centimetre (.5 inches) long. The heartbeat was 135. Is this a good sign?

I think my dates are accurate because I have been charting my BBT and the spike was 8 weeks ago and has stayed high since then.

My Dr. thought my HCG was high when I saw her 10 days ago, 20,500….
I’m not sure what to think. The heartbeat was a good sign, the gestational size was a bad sign. Can the foetal growth catch up?

What does this mean? Has anyone else had this experience? What were your results?

I can't see my Dr. for another week. Worry, worry, worry.
Thanks for any advice, or shared stories.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User
Re: 1st Ultrasound- small foetal size, OK? Should I worry?

I really don't know what all this means. Maybe you are not as far along as you thought. I have an ultrasound done at 6 weeks and they said she was 1 cm then. Her heartrate was a little bit higher but not much. Her heartrate varied throught the pregnancy. So i would worry to much about that. Sorry i can't help. I hope you get your answer soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 07:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User

Jellyjam u sound just like me. Try not to worry. I too was bleeding early on and thought i was having a miscarriage. At 7 weeks the baby was .8 centerimetes and the Dr. told me she was about 5 days smaller than she should have been.

I had to go for blood work every other day for a week to make sure my hormone levels were doubling.

I am now almost 22 weeks and the baby is almost weighing in at a pound. Try not to worry and just keep on doing everything ur suppose to. Good luck

Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Ultrasounds can vary by I think up to three days at that time. But they aren't completly accurate anyway, you will see alot of women on here who were told they were having 6lb babies and actually had 9lb babies, or ones that were told they were having short babies and they came out really long.
As long as the heartbeat looks good, 135 is pretty good, it varies from sleeping to awake times, and throughout the whole time. And your HCG levels are rising, that is good. Did it look anything like a baby? Or just sort of a blob? At 6 weeks my ultrasound looked like a blob, then at 8 it looked sort of like (and this is awful) Homer simpson! But you can do a search and find pics of what babies look like at certain stages and see what matches, or what normal lengths are.
Hope all goes well!

Closed Thread