It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
(female)

Coryn0921 HB User
Does anyone know?

Does anyone know how accurate AFP test results are? I am so worried about every little thing and I know that nothing is 100% but I though maybe those who know or have had past experience could give me some advice..

Old 06-01-2005, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User
Re: Does anyone know?

Is that the test they do between 16 and 18 weeks for Downs, and other problems, from blood? If that is the name of the test, then it has a high # of false positives, that will require further testing like Ultrasound, and Amnio.
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #3
(female)

Coryn0921 HB User

Yup that is the test, I have heard about all the false positives, have you heard anything about False Negatives though.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User

According to my doctor the rates of false positives are very high with the AFP test.
Keep in mind that it is just a screening test used by doctors incase there is a need to do further testing.
I took prenatal vitamins about one yeat prior to getting pregnant so I wasn't afraid of Spina Bifida as I had taken folic acid. But when I got a phone call from my doc indicating a 1/200 chance of Downs Syndrome I was devestated. We did had to go for Genetic Counseling and a Level II ultra sound and everything looked normal. We chose not to do an amnio as we would have kept the baby no matter what.
This board and the people here are great and got me through it all. Just make sure you discuss the test with your doctor and get as much info as possible.
Many people I spoke to opted not to take the test as they would have not terminated the pregnancy and did not want the stress.
You and your DH will have to make the decission and what ever you choose make sure you have all the facts.
I wish you all the luck and chances are nothing is wrong with your little angel.
Let us know what happens.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
(female)

Coryn0921 HB User

Thanks Sumi, I am not sure if I am worrying over nothing or what-my AFP test results came out great-the Doctor said the risk of DS is like 1 in 5000 or something like that-they never reccomended me for further testing. But at my 18 week ultrasound they were unable to get certain pics of the spine and heart because the baby was lying on his back so they sent me for a level II-and everything was fine measurements and all but he notice that the baby's kidneys were slightly dilated, which is a common finding in boys, but I have heard that it is also a softmarker for DS-so I am a nervous wreck. The Doctor told me that 95% of the time everything is fine, 4% he may need antibiotics or surgery when born and 1% DS-Even the littlest percentage scares me.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

Try not to worry Coryn, I know that is easier said than done!! I haven't heard of false negatives with the test. I was one of the ones that chose not to have the test with my first pregnancy. I didn't want to cause any additional stress and I knew I was going to have lots of ultrasounds which was the next step if something came back and knew if they saw something they would test further then. I haven't decided now, but I am already nervous about an amnio since I am 35 now. Take care, and try not to stress and enjoy your pregnancy as much as possible.
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Closed Thread