It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 08:07 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User
Any advice?

Hello to everyone,
Most of you know me and have been a great support to me so with this I come to you once again!
I had my app. yesterday with my ob/gyn, I'm currently 24 weeks and I'm so confused about weight right now. He looked at all my stats and said everything looked perfect, my blood pressure was only 57/104 and the proceeded to say that I need to cut down on my eating as I gained six pounds in one month. Now I know that's alot but I have not changed what I eat. I am so frustrated cause I'm so careful with what I eat. I eat the same thing every day and have one day a week that I allow myself to eat something bad, like 1 piece of cake or last week I had a small bag of M&Ms. How is this possible? I work out three times a week, I don't eat any fast food or junk food or fried food. Why am I gaining so fast???
Here is an example of a normal day for me, please give me your input as I am so frustrated with watching what I eat and limiting my portions. I just want to enjoy this pregnancy.
7:00am (1) Kellogs cereal bar (90 callories)
9:30am (1) cup Kellogs Bran flakes and 1/2 cup skim milk
12:00pm (2) Slices whole wheat bread with either 1 slice of fat free cheese or turkey and tomato plus 1 fruit.
3:00pm About four crackers or small bag of pretzels
5:00pm (5) prunes
7:30pm Dinner: Steamed veggies and fish and coucous
Chicken and salad with half a cup or rice
Turkey hot dog with a lite roll and salad
Three egg white omelete with spinach and a slice of bread
9:30 Fruit or jello

Exercise: 30-45 min. walk or low impact aerobics.
Water: 64ounces water everyday.

I do have one cheat day per week and I do eat more than on the average day. But I don't think that would contribute to a massive weight gain.
Where should I cut down? Any advice or suggestions?

Last edited by sumi; 06-02-2005 at 08:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 08:19 AM   #2

caedmyn HB User
Re: Any advice?

I don't see anything wrong with 6 pounds in a month. I believe you're supposed to gain an average of a pound a week after the first trimester, so I don't see that a couple of extra pounds is a big deal. Especially if you are eating healthy and eating when you are hungry, not just to snack. And the one treat a week is not going to have enough calories to be causing the extra weight gain.

It sounds to me like you're doing great and your doctor is just being uptight.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:30 AM   #3
(female)

dragonprincess HB User

I Have a qeustion befor I anserw your question .Is your dr male or female?just wondering.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User

Let the doctor talk and don't worry about it. I have gained 50lbs (39 wks) now with this pregnancy and I have not changed my diet since being pg except that I added breakfast. Also I have been home from work for a month now and I find I eat less when I am home. Also I have spring cleaned my whole house and since being pg I have started walkimg every day. I still can't figure out how I gain weight. The one night I weighed myself before going to sleep and then the next morning when I got up. I gained 2lbs in my sleep!! No matter what I have gained weight on a regular basis. I used to watch and monitor every bite since I was alarmed at the weight gain during all of my second trimester. Nothing I did slowed it down. Now I don't pig out but I can't be bothered with calories. All I know is I eat just like I used to expect I added breakfast for the baby's sake and that I don't eat much for since I am not hungry.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

I wouldn't worry at all either. Like everyone else has said, it sounds like you are eating just fine. I wouldn't change a thing about it. 6lbs in one month doesn't sound bad at all to me...like was stated, you can start gaining each week when you are in your 2nd trimester. I would just continue to eat like you are, and keep allowing yourself that day each week to have some treats....you deserve it!

Old 06-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User

Dragonprincess - It's a male doctor.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User

Sumi, how much weight have you gained all together? They say it's okay to gain more one month and less another. I gained 6 pounds and my dr. said that it was absolutely fine.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #8
(female)

Di12779 HB User

I think you are doing fine! Don't feel bad, my doctor told me at my last appointment that I needed to hold back on the weight gain. I gained 3 lbs in 2 weeks which is a pound more than I was supposed to gain, however looking at my whole chart I have only gained 10 lbs total throughout this pregnancy. My female doctors say I am doing great with the weight gain, the male doctor on the other hand is the one who freaks over one extra pound. Maybe it's a guy thing??

Old 06-02-2005, 09:51 AM   #9
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

I agree with 2Fast - I'm 34 weeks and have gained 50lbs. and my diet hasn't changed substantially and I exercise too! I was initially concerned about it, because all the books say 25-35 lbs. for a normal weight woman, but my blood pressure is just fine, and my midwives told me that that's just how my body is handling the pregnancy - nothing I can do really. So, I've stopped worrying about it. My best advice would be for you to do the same!

Old 06-02-2005, 09:52 AM   #10
(female)

Di12779 HB User

PS: the only other thing I can think of is maybe you are eating a little to late, even the right foods sit wrong when your metabolism slows down at night, but I still think you are doing fine!

Last edited by Di12779; 06-02-2005 at 09:53 AM.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:02 AM   #11
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

...and by the way, I've been averaging 6-7 lbs. a month for the past 3-4 months. So you're not alone!

Old 06-02-2005, 10:13 AM   #12

pgta5 HB User

Maybe you can try a little more protein, less carbs in the morning/afternoon. I know sometimes that is difficult since your cravings change. Try maybe yogurt or a smoothie as a snack instead.

You tend to gain more the last 4-6 weeks of pregnancy because the baby is growing at a faster rate. Your doctor may be concerned that if you are gaining 6 pounds a month early on that you could be putting on too much weight by the end of your pregnancy. I know everyone is different, but for example when I was carrying my son I actually lost about 8 pounds in the first 3 months. I only gained 4 pounds between month 3-7. In the last 8 weeks I put on 15 pounds.

I believe you were underweight to begin with? If you gained a pound a week that would be 40 pounds which would be normal if you started underweight. If you gained at the rate you are now 1.5 pounds a week that would be 60 pounds by the time you deliver. Your weight gain right now is primarily increased blood supply, water and fat. The baby's weight is hardly noticable!

I would take a list of what you are eating, maybe journal...to your doctor so he/she can see that you are eating healthy foods. And definately ask next time what he/she is expecting.

In the end it is your body and you have to carry it around. I'm surprised that a doctor would comment about weight, usually they don't notice too much. To ease your mind just ask specifically what the concern is.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User

Thanks to all of you who replied, your opinions have put my mind at ease.
pgta5 - I agree about the protein, I was a vegetarian prior to pregnancy but since getting pregnant I have added chicken and turkey to my menu. I aslo said if I craved meat I would eat it but so far no cravings. Yogurt is out because it makes me sick every time I try to eat it. I have been thinking about my protein intake and will look into having more protein during the morning. It's just hard cause my commute is an hour every day and I get up at 5:30 so making eggs and stuff would be too much. I usually prepare all my meals during the weekend and freeze them so I have time to work out during the week.

So far I have gained about 18lbs (8kgs) which I know is a lot and I know that I still have a long way to go.
Perhaps I'll stop gaining at some point or slow down (wishful thinking!!).
Anyway thanks to everyone for responding.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #14
(female)

dragonprincess HB User

He's a man .I thought so .So is mine at 27 weeks i had gained 6 pounds and my dr was so hard on me that he made me cry and I don't cry easy .He keeped yelling at me and poking me saying that's not all the baby .For 2 mounths it was so hard for me to eat anything with out hearing his voice in my head .So I hadn't gained anything for 2 months .You see I was underweight in the first place with a eating disorder not good.THEN I went to my ultra sound and found out I was having a very large son looking like 10 pounds .So I geuss most of it was baby I'm 36 and 5 days along and have gained a total of 28 pounds .Like my midwife put it he's a man maybe a doctor but still a man and has never been pregnant.Just red books and tells people how it's suppost to be. So rember that and keep your head up .the wieght gain will slow down .

Old 06-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #15

pgta5 HB User

Mini-quiches in a muffin tin work really great for on the go breakfasts. I too rush out the door and don't have time to prepare a big meal. I usually mix egg beaters w/ some spinach, mushrooms and cheese and bake. You can make this ahead of time then just grab from the frig. Take some good whole grain carbs w/ you too.

You don't have to eat meat. You can get plenty of protein from other sources. Try some handfuls of nuts for a snack too! They are great for your iron level too!

Closed Thread