It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 07:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User
Unhappy When do u get stretch marks?

At what point of pregnancy do you get stretch marks or is it after when you lose the weight? I put on Palmers cocoa butter every day but i dont even know if that helps at all?

Old 06-03-2005, 07:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User
Re: When do u get stretch marks?

It all depends! Some women don't even get stretch marks others develop them all thru out pregnancy. You might be the lucky one and not get any! Alot of people swear by the cocoa butter others say it don't work..perhaps its workin for you!?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
(female)

jadontusmommy HB User

I didn't get stretch marks until my 35th week. It all depends on your skin & how much weight you gain. Generally the stretch marks appear during pregnancy, my stretch marks were more pronounced after delivery. Its been 22 months since I delivered & they have faded about 95%.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I got mine at about 7 1/2 months with my first pregnancy. I am now 7 months into my second pregnancy and no new marks to see as of yet. I asked my Dr about all the lotions and stuff to prevent them and he said it doesn't hurt but it won't prevent them. It all depends on your skins elasticity and mostly your genes...if you mom had them chances are very high so will you. I used about 3 different lotions with my first pregnancy morning and night (and sometimes in the middle of the day too if I was itchy) and I still got stretch marks.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

I got mine at 40 weeks 2 days. Sucks I know.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:29 PM   #6
(female)

*jyn* HB User

got mine just before the third trimester...

Old 06-04-2005, 06:51 AM   #7
(female)

cody48 HB User

I noticed mine about 34 weeks or so. I was quite small and gained over 40 pounds. I also had a 9 1/2 pound baby so that didn't help. My doctor told me that cocoa butter and the many other things out on the market really do not help much at all IF ANY. He said that it has to do with heridity. Some people are more prone to them and nothing will prevent it. Unfortunately I'm one of those.

I could NEVER understand how these women who had gained more than me could wear bikinis and I couldn't. Guess that explains it more than anything else I've read.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Avon makes this stuff, or at least they used to, that is great for stretch marks, doesn't keep you from getting them, but it helps them go away. I can't remeber its name off the top of my head, but I will ask my Mom and see if you can still get it.
I think if you are already larger when you get pregnant, or have recently lost some weight and haven't gotten your skin all tight again, you are less likely to get them, at least that is what I have been told

Old 06-05-2005, 09:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

I keep reading about this stuff called Bio-Oil that is suppose to "prevent" stretch marks. I honestly don't think there is anything that can actually prevent them from appearing. Most of it is down to genetics and how hydrated you keep your skin (the hydrated bit is something I have read). I use Palmers lotion everyday but I don't hold out for a miracle that I won't get them. 80% of women get stretch marks during pregnancy.

Old 06-05-2005, 12:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

i put shea butter on everyday.. luckily i didn't get any

Old 06-05-2005, 02:02 PM   #11

FaithfulyWaiting HB User

I got stretch marks at about month 8, I have been using Palmers Cocoa Butter formula the entire time as well as drinking lots of water, and eating fruits and veggies. I still have gotten them really bad now. My dr. told me that most of these stretch mark topical creams haven't been proven to stop them at all. Probably alot of the people who swear by them wouldn't have gotten stretch marks anyways.

Old 06-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #12
(female)

pootie231 HB User

I have the worst stretch marks of anyone I have ever seen. I have no idea why some get them and some don't. As far as heredity, my mother had 3 children and not one stretch mark. I was not overweight when I became pregnant with my first, and only gained 30lbs, but got severe stretch marks that start in the pubic region and go up to about 3" above my belly button. I did not use any creams with my first. With 6 days to go in this pregnancy(my 2nd) I had been using Palmers everyday and noticed no new stretch marks until about 2 or 3 weeks ago. So who knows if it helped or if I am just one of the lucky ladies who is blessed with a stomach that looks like a road map. (I have gained 32lbs with this one).

Old 06-06-2005, 04:42 AM   #13
(female)

RebbieO HB User

I'm not very good at putting lotions and potions on my skin, unless it's excessively dry, but I was advised by an aromatherapist that wheatgerm oil is really good for preventing stretchmarks (or helping to clear them up afterwards). It's one of the base oils that you add the various essential oils to, and is safe to use on its own or in conjunction with something a little lighter like almond oil.

My sister didn't get any stretchmarks until after the baby was born (about 3 weeks ago), but they weren't very bad.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:13 AM   #14

pgta5 HB User

I have a friend who swears by Almond oil. I used Vitamin E oil. I have small stretch marks (about 1 in) around my frontal hip area. I didn't notice mine until after delivery. My sister in law has the "road" map on her stomach..the vertical stretch mars from the pubic area to above the belly button. Her child is 15 and they are still there.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:24 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Avon does still make that stuff, or something similar it's called Re-fine Stretch Mark smoother. I used it some time ago, I had stretch marks from my chest growing so fast! And it really helped to lighten them up and make them less noticeable.

Closed Thread