It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
(male)

dadchad HB User
womb care, "shaking" the belly.

My wife frequently shook her belly all throughout her pregnancy. Our handsome son was born 2 months early following an induced labor for low placental fluid. Is there a correlation between the "shaking" of the belly and the low fluid?

Last edited by dadchad; 06-05-2005 at 07:16 PM.

Old 06-05-2005, 06:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User
Re: womb care, "shaking" the belly.

I doubt it or the docs and u/s techs would not do it, when they are trying to get the baby to move. I shook my dd throughout my pg also and nothing happened to her, and so far, this baby is fine and my dh and dd shake my belly. good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

why on earth would a woman shake her belly during pregnancy. Shake it how with her hands? Probably not the smartest thing to do

Old 06-06-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I don't think it would be safe to use one of things that you hook up to to loose weight, but I can't see how shaking it with your hands or dancing or something that makes your belly shake would hurt. I have heard it is good to do a little dancing or something like that, that the baby likes it.
I shake my belly sometimes with my hands to get him to move abit, and the drs and us techs do it also.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

there is nothing wrong with shaking your belly a bit to try and get the baby to move. It does not hurt the baby. It is the same as dancing and I drive a paper route and I drive down bumpy roads also, what is the difference. same thing with jogging etc. I sometimes have to run to my dd, if she falls or whatever, same thing, still shakes the baby up.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
(male)

dadchad HB User

Thank you all for your responses to my question. I understand that day to day movement will not impact the child (by no means a doctor, but I understand the incredible tolerances of the human body and specifically the "physics" of the fluid in the placental sac)...my mother was an iceskating instructor and continued skating during her pregnancy with me with no adverse effects. My concern was more the method, force and frequency of the "shaking." My wife grasped her belly on both sides and quite intentionally, like one would shake a bottle of juice, shook with what appeared to be a significant force. This would happen daily, if not two to three times a day. Could this possibly contribute to the loss of placental fluid?

Old 06-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I don't see how. Like you said it's very well cushioned in there. Did the dr give you any reason for the loss of fluid? When I shake my belly to make him move, I put my hands on either side and move my hands up and down, maybe not quite as hard as you are saying, but then it's hard to know what someone means when you can't see it.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:36 PM   #8

Imy HB User

what do u mean by placental fluid...? Do u actually mean amniotic fluid? The placenta is full of blood, it's highly vascularized. SOrta like a liver in a way. I think maybe ur wife shouldent be shaking her belly if she is prone to having premature babies. Some ppl r put on bedrest in which even climbing stairs may trigger labor. As far as low fluid levels go....i have no idea why that would happen and I don't think it correlates to shaking the belly. It seems unrelated to me.

Old 06-07-2005, 05:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I don't think there is a correlation between the fluid level and her "shaking" or level of activity while pregnant, unless her water broke and it was leaking out. The amniotic fluid replenishes itself throughout the pregnancy. I don't know what the causes are of low amniotic fluid levels, but I highly doubt it has anything to do with shaking her belly or even anything that SHE could have done while pregnant.

Closed Thread