It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User
Water Breaking

Okay so if your water were to break in the pool or while you were using the bathroom, do you think you would know?
I just wonder cause we will be in the pool now, and I worry about that! And you know when you get up, the water runs down your legs anyway, and it is usally kind of warm. And when you go to the bathroom, well obvioulsy stuff is coming out, and it's warm also.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User
Re: Water Breaking

My girlfriend just told me tonight that when her water broke with her daughter she was in the pool and she felt something. She got out of the pool and called her friend over and her friend thought she was peeing but my girlfriend said it defineatly did not look like urine and knew that her water just broke.

I've been told that you'll know when it's broken but that a lot of womans water do not break and the Dr. has to break it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
(female)

missTee HB User

Honestly, I never thought about that when I was prego (twice) but, it really makes sense. Actually, my water didn't break like I imagined it would. I was petrified that my water would break while in public. It happend after my husband and I had sex...I thought I peed the bed. I thought it might have been my water.( Doc said to smell it, if it don't smell like pee than call) I still didn't really know untill I started my contractions..like immediately after! Pregnancies are always different! Your water is supposed to be a light straw color..but so can your pee, right? The pool thing...i don't know...With my second he didn't want to come out at all so the doc broke my water. My water never broke on its own time. When she broke my water however I did feel the water come out. I had absolutely no control over the movement either. So maybe thats your answer. You can't stop the flow of your water breaking. No matter how good your kegals are! So if you were in the pool or going to the bathroom and you feel yourself leaking non stop I would make a call to your doc.Also, if you were not aware of this little tid bit, when you stand the leaking will cease.Thats because the head drops into the cavity and basically "plugs" the water from coming out. So if you lie down and it continues to flow....I would seriously consider calling the doc. How far are you anyway?

Old 06-06-2005, 08:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User

hahaha...sorry I have to laugh caz we are back to the water bag question again. I was the one that started the thread last week about what causes the water bag to break, but anyhow...I often wonder that too! I think you should be able to tell if you were goin to the bathroom, but I think it might be hard to tell if it would happen in the pool considerin you aren't standing still and you have contant water movement goin thru your legs! I also wondered if you would be able to tell if you were in the shower considerin all the bath water would be running off your legs also!? I think tho when your water does break it will still trickel so you should be able to tell after awhile of bein dry! Also your water bag rebuilds 1/3 of the water each hour after it breaks!

Old 06-07-2005, 02:59 AM   #5
(female)

pootie231 HB User

I agree that you will probably know after drying off. Also the head does not always act like a cork as that is how I knew mine broke. I was sleeping and woke up thinking I wet the bed(not too far-fetched at the end of preg. )but when I stood up to go to the washroom, the water just kept coming out. It was quite obvious in my situation, but I have read the same thing about it flowing more when you lay down and the "cork" effect of the head which slows it, but it usually still trickles-and it won't stop as it does get contantly replaced.

Old 06-07-2005, 05:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Glad this thread came up because I've been thinking about my water breaking and how that will all play out.

So, I'm gathering from the discusion that you cannot feel the moment the bag breaks open (assuming it breaks normal & not a pinhole leak). You only know it happenned becasue of the water coming out of you. Is that correct?
Gayle

Old 06-07-2005, 05:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

With both of my pregnancies, the doctor broke my water in the hospital. What she told me beforehand was that if your water breaks, it will be a constant leak (or trickle) that will soak about a pad an hour. It replenishes itself, so it doesn't just break and then stop leaking, although there may be a gush and then a constant trickle. It is also colorless and odorless, different from urine. The women that I have spoken to who have had their water break on its own have all said that they felt it, not just the leaking.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

With my first, my water broke while I was lying in bed. I felt this weird sensation in my lower stomach, almost like a pop, and I thought I better get up to see if it was my water, and sure enough, it was trickling down my leg. And then I went to the bathroom, and the toilet paper was a little blood tinged, which I guess is another indicator of it breaking. So in my case, I knew it was my water. And now I'm 35 weeks with my second, and everytime I feel something, I always have to get up and check and see if it was or wasn't my water breaking...lol. My dr has told me several times though that you will know when your water breaks. You may not recognize it immediately, but after a little bit, you will definately know, since it will be a gush, or a constant trickle.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

You'd know.....Amniotic fluid has a pretty distinct smell....so you might not know in the pool itself...but after getting out...and drying off....you'd...know LOL

Mine broke on the way to the bathroom....but even if it had broken when I was on the toilet...it would have been pretty obvious

I too wondered these things before I had my DD....but like I said it was pretty obvious.

Old 06-07-2005, 05:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I talked to a friend who has three babies, although her water only broke naturally with the first, and she said, You will know! She said what ya'll are saying, it replenishes itself so it would keep trickling. I kind of thought that maybe you wouldn't be able to stop it like you would pee, but I wasn't sure. The thing that made me think about the pool was yesterday I was in the pool and when I stood up to dry off, the water was runnign down my legs and it felt warm. So, I freaked but last night after I posted this, it occured to me that I had been sitting in warm water, so naturally it was warm!
Since that has been over 24 hours and I don't have ababy, I am sure that wasn't it, lol.
Thanks for answering!

Old 06-08-2005, 05:40 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Celestine HB User

I discovered mine in the bathroom. Sorry for the info but I thought I had to #2 so I was straining a bit and when I stood up it was leaking. I thought I didn't wipe properly so I did again and it kept going. I had a little hint though, I was already at the hospital because my contractions had started, (probably why I felt like I had to #2), although they didn't really think the baby was coming for another couple days. I'm sure you'll know. In my case, contractions first, water second.

Closed Thread