It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 02:57 AM   #1
(female)

cutie777 HB User
Period while pregnant - how common?

Hi all,

I am a little freaked out by the fact that some women still have their periods while they are pregnant. That means I could be pregnant now and not know it!

How common is this, and are there other signs that you are pregnant, eg, the period is lighter or a different colour, etc?

But the thing is, when you have your period, the uterus is shedding its lining, so wouldn`t that mean the baby is shed with it?? How can that be??

Sorry if some questions are a little silly, but I have no idea how this could work.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2005, 04:59 AM   #2
(female)

pootie231 HB User
Re: Period while pregnant - how common?

I don't think it considered an actual "period" but is mistaken for one. If you think you may be pregnant but are bleeding-see your Dr. to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. Other causes of bleeding could be just the implantation of the egg to the wall-bleeding is usually light and brief, or sometimes women experience bleeding around the time they would have had their period due to hormonal changes. This bleeding is usually light although sometimes can be as heavy as a regular period. Like I said before, if you are concerned-see your Dr. as I am not one-just read alot on pregnancy etc. Hope that helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 09:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

I had what I thought was periods with my first pregnancy. I actually did not know I was pregnant until I was 3 months along because of having a period each month. But, the doctor confirmed a pregnancy and explained that it isn't actually a period. They refer to it as first trimester bleeding and it occurs for unknown reasons.......at least this is what I was told.

Old 06-15-2005, 02:07 PM   #4
(female)

kcherrywa HB User

You can have bleeding at implantation, when the blastocyst is implanting inot your uterine wall, which might seem like an early period after your last "real" period. You can also have bleeding when your placenta has developed and is putting "roots" into your uterine wall. I had this and it really seemed like a period to me. This could happen maybe 5-8 weeks after your last "real" period.

Closed Thread