It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

Coryn0921 HB User
Baby Boy-Dilated Kidneys

Hi, I was just curious to see if anyone's Doctor had seen kidney dilation on there Baby's Ultrasound or even had a baby or know one that was born with the kidneys dilated. I am now 24 weeks pregnant and have to go for a Level II ultrasound every 4 weeks to mointor my baby boys kidneys, the doctor said thay 95% of the time this turns out to be ok, but I guess it still bothers me a little and I am just looking for a little more reasurrance. Some say it is a soft marker for DS but my AFP test results came out 1:5000 which I know doesn't mean much, but also all his measurements are on or ahead of time, so I was just wondering if anyone had or knows anyone that has had experience in this area. They say that 1 in every 100 baby boys have this but sometimes it os not detected in regular ultrasounds, they found it when they sent me for a level II because the were unable to get certain pics due to the way the baby was laying. I would love to hear anything anyone would like to share-Thanks!

Old 06-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
(female)

dannysmom HB User
Re: Baby Boy-Dilated Kidneys

My son had one dialated kidney. They told me that it is pretty common in boys. My son's resolved itself but the time they re-checked it 6 weeks later. FYI, my son had his kidneys checked after birth because of some other issues but they were fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Celestine HB User

I just had my 24 week u/s as well and sure enough, he's a boy and one of his kidneys is dialated. It's good to hear your doctor said it will probably be ok. I haven't seen my doctor yet so I was pretty in the dark about it. The tech said it's probably nothing to worry about. She said they'll probably follow it up after he's born. I'll keep you updated if I find out more.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:51 AM   #4
(female)

Coryn0921 HB User

Great Thanks Danny's Mom! Thank you also Celestine keep me posted and I will do the same, I go back to the Doctors 7/1 or @ 28 weeks, but like I said he said that there is nothing to worry about unless the get to be about 10mm and in between 4 week visits mine stayed the same, he also said that if by chance they did get big, that the baby would possible have to be born earlier and put on an antibiotic, but like I said he did tell me that 95% of the time it corrects itself!

Closed Thread