It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
(female)

Rafael02 HB User
Prenatal HIV Testing

At Labcorp on Monday,I was sent for a total of three tests.....something that began with a C...don't remember what that was exactly, a Cystic Fibrosis test, and of course, HIV...well, the lady tech there told me that test results should only take a couple of days apart from the Cystic Fibrosis screen, since that takes 2 weeks...I got my blood drawn on Monday early afternoon. I called Labcorp this morning and asked about my testing...They said that the first 2 tests are ready and complete and that the Cystic Fibrosis was the only one they are waiting for. My question is this.....If for some reason the HIV test would have some back positive wouldn't they have sent it away for another definitive screen, a western blot, before they actually had the actual test result?I called them and asked them if everything was ok and of course they said they couldn't release that info over the phone, that's fine...I then called my OB and they haven't gotten anything back and they said that even though 2 of the tests are ready, they don't get a report from Labcorp till the Cystic Fibrosis test comes back too...They said they don't like to get tests in pieces or something like that....Anyway...should I be happy that the HIV test was completed so quickly?I'm just looking for any type of comfort right now...I am scared out of my wits!I would think that if my test came back positive for something like HIV that they would send that directly over to my OB because they don't want you out there infecting others but I may be wrong in that assumption?Help Please!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
(female)

Coryn0921 HB User
Re: Prenatal HIV Testing

For some reason I was really worried about this test too, Couldn't sleep at nigh and my doctor told me that it would take a week or 2 to get all of the results, no one ever called me and I didn't call them, I guess I was just in a panic, but when I went for the next appointment the doctor told me that all my blood work came out great, I was so relieved, if they knew something they would call you right away they would want to get you on meds ASAP, to prevent you from giving it to the baby...Please don't worry yourself its really not worth it...

Old 06-08-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

Don't freak out - you're probably fine. I would also think if your HIV test was positive they'd want to see you asap. So relax, don't worry - no need to get yourself crazy.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User

{removed} If they get a test result at the lab with something like HIV positive they usually call the doctor ASAP and the doctor calles the patient. This is taken seriously and so if they have not called you from your doctors office chances are that everything is ok. Don't stress out it's not good for you or the baby.

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 06-08-2005 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Do not offer any medical advice or information professionally. This is strictly a PEER support group.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
(female)

Rafael02 HB User

Thank you sooooo much for your quick replies everyone!Especially Sumi!
I know all this worrying isin't good for baby or I so I'm just gonna try and calm down and just stick it out....I guess no news is good news, after all...I will race straight back to these boards as soon as I have some more news......Again, Thanks everyone!
Lynaa

Old 06-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

They would have called you if it was positive, even if to let you know that they were going to retest it. As for getting them all back at one time, I have never heard that. It took our CF test a really really long time to come back, they told us it could be 4-6 weeks, and actually they never even said another word about it, DH finally asked had it come back just recently (we knew they would have told us if it had been positve) and they said it had come back in January I think, and we did it in late November!

Old 06-09-2005, 05:13 AM   #7
(female)

Rafael02 HB User

*Update Everyone!*After I got off work yesterday I was checking the messages off of my old cell phone that I hardly ever use...As it turns out after I called my OB at around 9am yeaterday morning and they had said that they only get all the labwork together and that I would have to wait, they ended up calling me back on that phone instead of my work phone no more than an hour later just to let me know that all my blood work came back fine!I am soooooo relieved!Thanks to all for your comforting words and support....
Lynaa

Closed Thread