It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 06:25 AM   #1
(female)

Di12779 HB User
Question Cramping at 37 1/2 weeks???

Ok I need advice, I have been feeling horrible since last night. I started getting lower abdominal cramping at about 10 pm yesterday. I fell asleep and woke up to the same cramping sensation. It feels like menstral cramps that go along my whole lower abdomen, some are sharp and make me jump a little. The thing is they have been so constant for 3.5 hrs now. I haven't had a break from them yet. I was thinking they were braxton hicks but I have never had them last this long. My Co- worker says I should time them, but there doesn't seem to be a peacefull period between them that lasts to long, maybe a solid minute but then it will ache and then get worse again. I don't know if this is an indicator that something is wrong or if my body is just preparing itself for labor. False labor maybe? There is no spotting or anything, I just feel sick and in pain. The pain does not subside with a change in position either, trust me I have tried everything but laying down (I am at work so that one is totaly out). Any advice is very very welcome!

Last edited by Di12779; 06-09-2005 at 07:16 AM.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Altson HB User
Re: Cramping at 37 1/5 weeks???

If you're still here, and haven't called or gone in already, why don't you go in to the hospital for a check? If you aren't getting any relief from the pain in between, it sounds like you are in labor to me! Fun!!!! I take it this is your 1st baby?

I've had 4 babies and this sounds like beginning to middle labor to me. 37 1/2 weeks isn't early labor or preterm, you're considered term at this point.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 07:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

shelliam HB User

I agree the worst thing that could happen is they send you home. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User

You know I get something like that. Sounds exactly like what I feel. I have had that last a half day already. it is real low in your stomach. I told my DH I would swear I was getting my period if I was not pg. I have no idea what it is and I told my dr and he didn't seem to think it was anything. It has come and gone for like 3 weeks now.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:28 AM   #5
(female)

Di12779 HB User

Oh I am still here alright! I think I will call because it doesn't want to let up and it has been 5 1/2 hours already. I get so confused because I read that false labor is lower in the abdomen and real labor is higher up... This is my first (must be pretty obvious), so everything is very confusing to say the least. every so often I do feel a tightning up top but I think that may be the baby trying to squirm a bit. I am so ready for this little guy to come, but so worried that I am making something out of nothing.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

With DS, I had the same thing happen to me. I'd just been to the clinic a couple days before and they didn't say anything about me being ready to deliver, so I figured it'd be silly to go to get it check. I felt kinda crampy. Then I started timing the cramps all night long they were several minutes apart. I called the hospital and they said they could check me, but they'd probably send me home. Spent all day saturday in bed relaxing and trying to nap and finally asked DH to take me to the hospital to get check. They finally got me into a room to exam me at 8:30 and said they were keeping me. DS was born at3:30 the next morning. So don't feel silly about going in and getting checked. Also, maybe you should time the cramps. I just felt like I had really really bad period cramps.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Sounds like early labor to me....are you keeping hydrated, dehydration can cause contractions as well...when you time them, you need to start timing from the start of one to the start of the next...as soon as you notice the cramping increase, right down the time...it will gradually decrease and when the next cramp starts increasing again note the time again....the minutes between each cramp is what they need to know...but I would definately go in and they will hook you up to a non-stress test machine to show any contractions and how far apart they are. Goodluck.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:44 AM   #8
(female)

Di12779 HB User

You would think the doctors office would be a little better to get through to if your pregnant wouldn't you? I tried calling and left message after message yesterday and no one got back to me. I finally gave up. i am still hanging in there but I still have the cramping feeling. It has been over 24 hours. They arn't getting any worse but I am just so achey. I am drinking a lot of fluids and resting as much as possible but it doesn't feel like anything is progressing at all. I heard some women stay at this stage for 2 weeks. How do they cope??? I was up all night completly uncomfortable but today they seem to be a little more bearable. Maybe I am just getting used to it. What worries me a little is the baby seems to have decreased his movements. He IS moving here and there, so I think he is ok, but he just isn't as active as he usually is.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

ok, you need to go to the ER... better to be safe then sorry. your almost there. and movement isn't as much but you don't know what's going on!

Old 06-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi Di -

If you're still there now, definitely go to the ER at the hospital where you're planning to deliver. Do not delay. It may be okay to go directly to the L&D unit and have them check you there. Tell the nurses how long this has been happening, that it kept you awake most of last night, and that no one at your doctor's office returned your call. Don't wait. You need to be seen to keep you and your baby safe. Go now.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 06-12-2005, 04:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again Di -

How are you??????????? Hope all is well and that maybe your sweet baby is here! I've been thinking about you.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:15 AM   #12
(female)

Di12779 HB User

Hi everyone!
I am still here but feeling better or as best as can be expected. The cramping has lessened up and I am hanging in there. I get to see the doctor today. I was about to go to the ER on Sat. however on my way out my neighbor, an RN in the ob section of the hospital I am going to deliver at, caught me and checked me out. It was a bit strange to be checked out in my bedroom but it served it's purpose. It ends up that things are about the same as far as progression goes. The contractions are being caused by dehydration and the heat. She kept me in the house all weekend with lots of fluids and checked on me a few times. She even listened to the babies heart beat and everything was perfect. She notified my doctor who recomended the same treatment and of course to come in today after work if I felt well enough to go in. It did help a lot, but here I am back at work again today in the same hot conditions. I am trying to stay hydrated and keep cool but it's such a difficult thing to do. I am really afraid that at my apointment today they are going to want to pull me off of work. I really have to hang in here until the kids are done with exams on the 20th and after that I won't mind taking off the last 4 days of school. I'd even go on half day schedule if they would allow me too.

Is anyone else here working up until their due date or am I being an idiot trying to? Everyone at work keeps looking at me like I am insane for still being here!

Old 06-14-2005, 02:04 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Di -

Good to hear all is well - except for the heat, of course. How great that you have an OB nurse as a neighbor and that you were able to stay home for the fluid and air conditioning treatment!

At this point in your pregnancy when the baby is due at about any time, my vote is that you do what the doctor says is best for you and the baby - exam schedule or not. The other teachers and staff know it's been a gamble about you lasting until exams are over just given your due date, so there's probably a contengency plan already cooked up. I say stay home, stay cool, and be rested when labor starts for real.

What did your doctor tell you today?

Last edited by BarbaraH; 06-14-2005 at 02:06 PM.

Closed Thread