It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User
Pregnancy Books

I'm trying to find great, informative books to read for my pregnancy. I already have "Your Pregnancy Week By Week", but I am getting bored with it. Its great because it tells you what to expect at every week of your pregnancy, how you are changing, as well as your baby. However, now I want some more detailed books, with different aspects I guess. How about something regarding labor and delivery (which I am dealthy afraid of)? Come on ladies, bring on the ideas, I know you have some great books you've read!

Old 06-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
(female)

ChristyDavis HB User
Re: Pregnancy Books

hey Roxy- it's my 2nd and I still haven't found a book that totally relates. Every labor and delivery is different. I'm reading GRAEAT EXPECTIONS and that lets me know what's going on wk to wk, but as far as labor is concerned it's totally up to the woman's body. I know my labor with this one will be one different.Try not to worry about about that and just enjoy the motions this pregnancy brings!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 12:03 AM   #3
(female)

dragonprincess HB User

the only one I've ever needed during each pegnacey this is my third is What To Expect WHEN YOUR Expecting. It has everything .I do mean everything

Old 06-10-2005, 01:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

I also agree that "What to Expect When You're Expecting" is really good. It's full of info and there's a whole section of labour and delivery as well as a section devoted to Dads.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I read What to Expect and Week by Week. Both were good. Another good one to read toward the end of pregnancy is the Girlfriends Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood. That one is about what your body goes through and how to take care of yourself while taking care of a baby. As far as labor and delivery, a childbirth class will give you loads of materials to help you prepare. Most people will tell you that you don't remember the breathing techniques when you're actually in labor (this is true), but I still learned a lot of useful info in the class we took. I also got magazines sent to me that had info on labor and delivery and my doctor gave me some as well. Until you experience it for yourself, you really can't imagine what to expect. The best advice I got was to concentrate on each contraction getting you closer to your baby. It's only temporary, you will not be in labor for forever and it will eventually end and you will be holding you baby in your arms really soon. Take each contraction as it comes and focus on the present - not how long you've been in labor or how much longer you have to go. It doesn't make them hurt any less, but it makes the whole experience a little more bearable.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

Hi Roxy,

A fun book is "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy" . It tells you the real deal with a large dose of humor. I found it to be informative as well as entertaining.

-Jen

Old 06-10-2005, 05:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I totally agree with Jen. I LOVE "The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy". I practically read the whole book the first day I got it. I literally laughed out loud a few times and I reference it often.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

i loved girlfriends guide it was awesome and at about month 7 i bought the second one girlfriends guide to the first year. it was great for delivery and bringing home baby. also i enjoyed girlfriends guide to baby gear it was very helpful!

Closed Thread