It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2005, 08:17 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hellokitty1973 HB User
How do you hide it at work?

Hi everyone -

Just found out I am PG.. and it's a total shock! It was planned, but not expected so soon. This will be #1 for DH and I. Anyway, I am already feeling queasy and am wondering how everyone deals with this at work? Obviously, it is WAY too soon to say anything. I am wondering how you cope with feeling sick, while keeping it "hidden?"

Thanks!!! And good luck to everyone!

Old 06-10-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User
Re: How do you hide it at work?

Good luck Allison! Try some ice cold coke and saltines. I made it until 9wks before I was naucious so I told them then. I was hoping to last until 11 or 12wks before telling, but figured they would notice how green I was getting. Good luck, if its to bad get some meds from the Dr. to help you thru it.
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 09:00 AM   #3

pgta5 HB User

When I was pregnant w/ my son I didn't tell until I had had my u/s at 20 weeks! I had horrible morning sickness. They key for me was to not let myself get hungry..that aggrivates the ms. I'm not sure what kind of work you do but if you can always keep a snack on hand and munch on a few crackers everyso often and keep hydrated (Tazo ginger tea worked great in the mornings). Don't skip meals.

I used to go to the bathroom, hurl, wash my face and go right back to work! Crazy! I know! I worked in the financial sector w/ lots of men and they looked at pregnancy as a commodity.

Congratulations and good luck!
~P

Old 06-10-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

I didn't hide anything, mo bosses knew at around 6 weeks! No way could I hide it, they all have several children a piece and started getting suspisous when I would run full speed to the washroom!
In this day and age there is no reson to hide anything anyway!
CONGRATS and good luck!

Old 06-10-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
(female)

Di12779 HB User

I started getting sick at 7-14 weeks. I found sour things tended to counter act some of the queezy feeling. I also kept gingerale with me, that helped settle my stomache. Other times it was just a dash for the bathroom. I found that my body adjusted to my schedule. I seemed to get sick the same times of day, that made it a lot easier to keep from co-workers and students, there were a couple occasions where it was a grab the nearest garbage can time, but I got through it. I think for me it also helped teling one person whi Iwas the closest with because If I had to run out of the classroom I had someone who knew what was going on and covered for me.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:20 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Hellokitty1973 HB User

Thanks so much for the replies!

I work in an office for a financial company. I have been here on a temporary basis for a few months and was JUST hired full time! What timing I have! Oddly enough, I am replacing someone else who just had a baby and did not come back from maternity leave! So, this will be tricky. Most of the reason I want to keep it hidden is because it's so early on right now (about 5 weeks) and it's our first. I just want to make sure it all goes ok. I am worried about having to hurl because I work on a floor with MANY women and there always seems to be someone in the restroom. So far, I just feel a little queasy at times.

I will definitely be keeping crackers and such in my desk drawer!!!!

Old 06-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #7

pgta5 HB User

I was in a really similiar situation..had just been promoted into management, into a position where the previous 2 had left after having their babies. They took a lot of days off due to morning sickness, appointments etc, and the upper management and inferiors didn't look too kindly upon it. I didn't want anyone to judge my performance based on my pregnancy.

Unfortunately not all employers are sympathetic of pregnancy! Even though there are laws to protect us sometimes there are bad apples in the batch and they find ways to make life miserable for you. My boss was a woman with 2 children and make life unbearable for me my last 2 months. She made sure that every loophole she could use she did. You have to protect yourself and your job if you are required to work. I'm glad that I didn't tell earlier. It would have been a lot more stressful for me. In the end you have to make a decision that works with your situation and not every situation warrants the same decision.

Women are insightful! I'm sure they will figure it out, or least they will assume. But you can keep them guessing for a while!

Closed Thread