It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #1
(female)

forestier123 HB User
What to do before getting pregnant??

Hi all,
I am 34 years old and am thinking about getting pregnant for the first time. I asked my doctor if I need to do anything to prepare and she said just pray and go for it. My husband smokes and drinks and she said it does have an affect his sperm. But how? I think I'm like everyone else and want to have a normal, healthy baby. Any suggestions on supplements, diet, nutrition, etc. ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: What to do before getting pregnant??

Are you taking prenatal vitamins? That's a good start. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have some bloodwork done and make sure your thyroid is in order. If you have cats you may want to be checked for toxio-(?) something or another. It's tests for an immunity to a common infection in cats that can be passed onto humans. If you already have an immunity you have nothing to wory about. Those are a few things I would probably do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 06:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

Start taking Folic Acid now. 400 mcg/day is the recommended dosage.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User

If your husband smokes around you (in the house, vechile, etc) make him stop! Start a prenatal vitamin so you get all the vitamins your body needs...folic acid is a major must so if you don't buy the prenatals make sure you definitely buy folic acid pills! Good Luck!

Old 06-10-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

take prenatels and make hubby clean the cat boxes, pg women should not touch the boxes. good luck, sending baby dust your way *.*.*.*

Old 06-10-2005, 10:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

What they all said! Also, you may want to, if you aren't already, starting to exercise, I really wish I had. I have heard from alot of women that it was easier to be pregnant if you are in really good shape.
Some things, like alcohol and nicotine, and other meds somehow or another seep into the sperm. There was a study that coffee makes them more viable. It is really important to try to get DH to quit smoking now though, not only for you, but you dont' want him to smoke around the baby!
Good luck, hope you get pregnant soon!

Closed Thread